Bananas.org

Welcome to the Bananas.org forums.

You're currently viewing our message boards as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in discussions and access our other features such as our wiki and photo gallery. By joining our community, you'll have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Bananas.org > Banana Forum > Banana Plant Health And Maintenance Topics
Register Photo Gallery Classifieds Wiki Chat Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Banana Plant Health And Maintenance Topics This forum is for discussions of banana plant health topics such as coloration issues, burning, insects, pruning, transplanting, separating pups, viruses, disease, and other general banana plant health and maintenance issues.


Members currently in the chatroom: 0
The most chatters online in one day was 17, 09-06-2009.
No one is currently using the chat.

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2021, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
 
Backyard Banana Joe's Avatar
 
Location: Orlando FL
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,427
BananaBucks : 80,851
Feedback: 3 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 6,967 Times
Was Thanked 1,982 Times in 936 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 184 Times
Default Are these Corm Borers??

I was walking through the patch when I noticed a small Manzano that was stunted and looked pretty terrible, that wasnít getting enough sun. I pushed on it, and to my surprise, it leaned over. Then I noticed the corm had snapped off a little below the soil. I lifted it up, and the corm was rotten, and there was a grub peeking out at me from a tunnel in the corm! Oh horror of horrors!

I immediately dug out the whole corm and put it all in a bucket. I didnít see any borer damage in the pstem, and I havenít noticed any adult weevils anywhere. I really, really hope this isnít the dreaded Corm Borer.









Backyard Banana Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Backyard Banana Joe
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 08-05-2021, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
 
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Zone: Zone 9a
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,236
BananaBucks : 55,678
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 2,540 Times
Was Thanked 2,372 Times in 809 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 129 Times
Default Re: Are these Corm Borers??

Nasty! Do a full pathology exam/inspection on it and toss in the garbage. Gross!
Akula is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Akula
Said thanks:
Old 08-05-2021, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
 
Backyard Banana Joe's Avatar
 
Location: Orlando FL
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,427
BananaBucks : 80,851
Feedback: 3 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 6,967 Times
Was Thanked 1,982 Times in 936 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 184 Times
Default Re: Are these Corm Borers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akula View Post
Nasty! Do a full pathology exam/inspection on it and toss in the garbage. Gross!

I inspected it and found they are into the lower p stem as well. Edit: Definitely Corm Borers. I found a handful of adult weevils hiding in the destroyed corm.


What I don't know is if they will spread to every banana plant I have and destroy them. Of course I will destroy this plant as well as all the grubs, but I doubt I have gotten them all. If they are in one, are they in a lot of them? I also don't know how I ended up with them. Is this the end of banana growing in my yard?

Last edited by Backyard Banana Joe : 08-05-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Backyard Banana Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Backyard Banana Joe
Old 08-05-2021, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Backyard Banana Joe's Avatar
 
Location: Orlando FL
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,427
BananaBucks : 80,851
Feedback: 3 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 6,967 Times
Was Thanked 1,982 Times in 936 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 184 Times
Default Re: Are these Corm Borers??

Is there a way to organically treat these besides setting weevil traps and manually crushing them?
Backyard Banana Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Backyard Banana Joe
Old 08-05-2021, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Zone: 9a
Name: Zach
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 163
BananaBucks : 23,291
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 440 Times
Was Thanked 191 Times in 107 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 45 Times
Default Re: Are these Corm Borers??

Try mixing diatomaceous earth, or granite dust into the soil when you do your planting. It tears up the flesh of grubs/larvae.
zfallon84 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To zfallon84
Sponsors

Old 08-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 250
BananaBucks : 10,092
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 125 Times
Was Thanked 313 Times in 166 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 17 Times
Default Re: Are these Corm Borers??

I have zero expertise in this area ... but can say they (banana root borer weevils - Cosmopolites sordidus) are ubiquitous in my patches and probably all over the island (Oahu). My bananas grow just fine in spite of them.
raygrogan is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To raygrogan
Old 02-06-2022, 12:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
 
kellbrad's Avatar
 
Location: South Carolina
Zone: 8A
Name: KELLY
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 32
BananaBucks : 3,413
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 53 Times
Was Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Unhappy Re: Are these Corm Borers??

So, I just saw one of these worm things in my potted dwarf cavendish soil that I brought inside when it started to get cold (OCT) PLEASE don't tell me this means my banana is infested and going to die. It is still producing healthy leaves even though it is inside and is taller than I am (5'8") I started it in April 2021 when it was 2 ft tall. I refuse to accept that it is not going to make it. BUT, this is my first banana so, IDK what I'm doing. I have been reading this forum a lot and I appreciate all the info. Right now, it is too cold for me to take it outside and remove it from its pot to look for gross bugs. I am in denial as well.
kellbrad is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To kellbrad
Old 02-06-2022, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
container grower
 
cincinnana's Avatar
 
Location: Southwest Ohio U.S.A.🇺🇸
Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 8,491
BananaBucks : 734
Feedback: 7 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,838 Times
Was Thanked 11,286 Times in 4,719 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,811 Times
Smile Re: Are these Corm Borers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellbrad View Post
So, I just saw one of these worm things in my potted dwarf cavendish soil that I brought inside when it started to get cold (OCT) PLEASE don't tell me this means my banana is infested and going to die. It is still producing healthy leaves even though it is inside and is taller than I am (5'8") I started it in April 2021 when it was 2 ft tall. I refuse to accept that it is not going to make it. BUT, this is my first banana so, IDK what I'm doing. I have been reading this forum a lot and I appreciate all the info. Right now, it is too cold for me to take it outside and remove it from its pot to look for gross bugs. I am in denial as well.
Does it look like the grub back in post #1 and the beginning of the thread?
__________________
🌴

Last edited by cincinnana : 02-07-2022 at 08:40 AM. Reason: tipo
cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Said thanks:
Old 02-10-2022, 09:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Commercial Grower
 
PR-Giants's Avatar
 
Location: Florida & Greater Antilles
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,405
BananaBucks : 5,643
Feedback: 16 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 2,854 Times
Was Thanked 11,997 Times in 3,479 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,942 Times
Default Re: Are these Corm Borers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard Banana Joe View Post
I was walking through the patch when I noticed a small Manzano that was stunted and looked pretty terrible, that wasnít getting enough sun. I pushed on it, and to my surprise, it leaned over. Then I noticed the corm had snapped off a little below the soil. I lifted it up, and the corm was rotten, and there was a grub peeking out at me from a tunnel in the corm! Oh horror of horrors!

I immediately dug out the whole corm and put it all in a bucket. I didnít see any borer damage in the pstem, and I havenít noticed any adult weevils anywhere. I really, really hope this isnít the dreaded Corm Borer.
That's very interesting that the weevil was eating a Manzano. The Manzano is very resistant to attracting weevils, meaning weevils prefer eating other varieties before the Manzano. I've seen Manzano that have been growing in the wild for over a hundred years and the bananas growing around them had weevils but the Manzano were weevil free.

What other varieties do you grow?

Plantains are probably the most desirable meal for weevils.
__________________



PR-Giants Photo Gallery



15,000+ Varieties

PR-Giants is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To PR-Giants
Old 02-11-2022, 12:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
 
kellbrad's Avatar
 
Location: South Carolina
Zone: 8A
Name: KELLY
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 32
BananaBucks : 3,413
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 53 Times
Was Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Are these Corm Borers??

yeah....it did, and i found a second dead one (it didn't squirm or anything) and for 2 days i have been looking for evidence of destruction and I think I might have killed my tree looking for these damn bugs. I HATE BUGS. and this tree was doing so well, but the dirt and the roots are like, "wet" according to the meter, yet I cannot loosen it up to examine the corm i am so mad. the corm i have cut thru like 1/4 in deep and 2 in wide, nothing. pstem nothing and it is sooo skinny now bc of my obsessive inspecting for bugs
kellbrad is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To kellbrad
Old 03-04-2022, 09:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
 
Backyard Banana Joe's Avatar
 
Location: Orlando FL
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,427
BananaBucks : 80,851
Feedback: 3 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 6,967 Times
Was Thanked 1,982 Times in 936 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 184 Times
Default Re: Are these Corm Borers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Giants View Post
That's very interesting that the weevil was eating a Manzano. The Manzano is very resistant to attracting weevils, meaning weevils prefer eating other varieties before the Manzano. I've seen Manzano that have been growing in the wild for over a hundred years and the bananas growing around them had weevils but the Manzano were weevil free.

What other varieties do you grow?

Plantains are probably the most desirable meal for weevils.

That's interesting!

I grow a handful of varieties, all dessert bananas, no plantains. If you want you can see what I am growing, they are in my profile. I haven't found weevils on any other banana plant yet, I haven't dug up all of them to check, but I have dug up some old corms and dug some pups and haven't found any weevils or weevil damage.
Backyard Banana Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Backyard Banana Joe
Old 03-04-2022, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
 
Backyard Banana Joe's Avatar
 
Location: Orlando FL
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,427
BananaBucks : 80,851
Feedback: 3 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 6,967 Times
Was Thanked 1,982 Times in 936 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 184 Times
Default Re: Are these Corm Borers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellbrad View Post
yeah....it did, and i found a second dead one (it didn't squirm or anything) and for 2 days i have been looking for evidence of destruction and I think I might have killed my tree looking for these damn bugs. I HATE BUGS. and this tree was doing so well, but the dirt and the roots are like, "wet" according to the meter, yet I cannot loosen it up to examine the corm i am so mad. the corm i have cut thru like 1/4 in deep and 2 in wide, nothing. pstem nothing and it is sooo skinny now bc of my obsessive inspecting for bugs

I think you need to stop obsessing and let the plant do its thing. It's very doubtful you would have borers in NC, and the tree was healthy and doing great until you started digging around and cutting into the corm. It would help if you could post a picture of the grub because we have grubs in our backyard that look similar to borders but are harmless. They have "legs" and are kind of shaped like a 'C'. Borer grubs don't have legs and aren't curved. But both are white and could look similar to someone afraid they are borers. Also the fact it was in the soil, not the corm, could mean it isn't a borer. It most likely wouldn't be in the soil, it would be in the corm where you couldn't see it.
Backyard Banana Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Backyard Banana Joe
Old 03-06-2022, 02:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Commercial Grower
 
PR-Giants's Avatar
 
Location: Florida & Greater Antilles
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,405
BananaBucks : 5,643
Feedback: 16 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 2,854 Times
Was Thanked 11,997 Times in 3,479 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,942 Times
Default Re: Are these Corm Borers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard Banana Joe View Post
That's interesting!

I grow a handful of varieties, all dessert bananas, no plantains. If you want you can see what I am growing, they are in my profile. I haven't found weevils on any other banana plant yet, I haven't dug up all of them to check, but I have dug up some old corms and dug some pups and haven't found any weevils or weevil damage.
Is your Manzano part of the Silk subgroup?

It's common here for members to use the same name for cultivars that are in different subgroups.
__________________



PR-Giants Photo Gallery



15,000+ Varieties

PR-Giants is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To PR-Giants
Said thanks:
Old 03-06-2022, 07:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
 
Backyard Banana Joe's Avatar
 
Location: Orlando FL
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,427
BananaBucks : 80,851
Feedback: 3 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 6,967 Times
Was Thanked 1,982 Times in 936 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 184 Times
Default Re: Are these Corm Borers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Giants View Post
Is your Manzano part of the Silk subgroup?

It's common here for members to use the same name for cultivars that are in different subgroups.
It's "the Manzano". It's been affirmed by Gabe.
Backyard Banana Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Backyard Banana Joe
Old 03-28-2022, 03:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
 
Backyard Banana Joe's Avatar
 
Location: Orlando FL
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,427
BananaBucks : 80,851
Feedback: 3 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 6,967 Times
Was Thanked 1,982 Times in 936 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 184 Times
Default Re: Are these Corm Borers??

Hello everyone!

Banana pups are coming up everywhere. Since I found banana borers, I haven't sold any pups. I have only found borers on that one plant. I've dug up old corms and pups near and farther away from where this plant was, and have found no sign of them in the corms.

My question is this: am I safe to start selling pups again (of course inspect corms and do bleach or hot water)?
Backyard Banana Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Backyard Banana Joe
Old 04-03-2022, 07:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
 
Backyard Banana Joe's Avatar
 
Location: Orlando FL
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,427
BananaBucks : 80,851
Feedback: 3 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 6,967 Times
Was Thanked 1,982 Times in 936 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 184 Times
Default Re: Are these Corm Borers??

Anyone?
Backyard Banana Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Backyard Banana Joe

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page






Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you Have Corm? Abnshrek Main Banana Discussion 1 04-23-2014 08:54 PM
1000 Fingers Pup/Corm and Saba Pup/Corm digdeep Banana Plants Wanted 0 07-15-2011 07:24 PM
corm rot fishoifc Main Banana Discussion 9 05-27-2010 09:13 AM
The Monster Corm! 20+ yr old corm Overgrown Main Banana Discussion 29 04-17-2010 03:24 AM
Squash Borers are getting all my squash. HELP! LilGardenQueen Other Plants 3 06-19-2009 07:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.





All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.