View Single Post
Old 03-04-2022, 09:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Backyard Banana Joe

Zone: 9B
BananaBucks : 95,297
Said "Thanks" 6,976 Times
Was Thanked 1,984 Times in 935 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 184 Times
Default Re: Are these Corm Borers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellbrad View Post
yeah....it did, and i found a second dead one (it didn't squirm or anything) and for 2 days i have been looking for evidence of destruction and I think I might have killed my tree looking for these damn bugs. I HATE BUGS. and this tree was doing so well, but the dirt and the roots are like, "wet" according to the meter, yet I cannot loosen it up to examine the corm i am so mad. the corm i have cut thru like 1/4 in deep and 2 in wide, nothing. pstem nothing and it is sooo skinny now bc of my obsessive inspecting for bugs

I think you need to stop obsessing and let the plant do its thing. It's very doubtful you would have borers in NC, and the tree was healthy and doing great until you started digging around and cutting into the corm. It would help if you could post a picture of the grub because we have grubs in our backyard that look similar to borders but are harmless. They have "legs" and are kind of shaped like a 'C'. Borer grubs don't have legs and aren't curved. But both are white and could look similar to someone afraid they are borers. Also the fact it was in the soil, not the corm, could mean it isn't a borer. It most likely wouldn't be in the soil, it would be in the corm where you couldn't see it.
Backyard Banana Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Backyard Banana Joe