Bananas.org

Welcome to the Bananas.org forums.

You're currently viewing our message boards as a guest which gives you limited access to participate in discussions and access our other features such as our wiki and photo gallery. By joining our community, you'll have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Go Back   Bananas.org > Banana Forum > Main Banana Discussion
The Facebook Platform
Register Photo Gallery Classifieds Wiki Chat Map Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Banana Discussion This is where we discuss our banana collections; tips on growing bananas, tips on harvesting bananas, sharing our banana photos and stories.


Members currently in the chatroom: 0
The most chatters online in one day was 17, 09-06-2009.
No one is currently using the chat.

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ollieb123
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 114
BananaBucks : 4,459
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 26 Times
Was Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

what's the difference between these 2?

so what I know is the Hawaiian aeae strain is royal.

what's the difference between Florida strain and dang Florida?

so does the Florida strain give variegated fruit? dang Florida doesn't.

all confusing whats the difference?
OllieB497 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To OllieB497

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 01-19-2021, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Container grower
 
cincinnana's Avatar
 
Location: Southwest Ohio U.S.A
Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
Name: Cin
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,888
BananaBucks : 21,108
Feedback: 7 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,696 Times
Was Thanked 10,039 Times in 4,052 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,566 Times
Default Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieB497 View Post
what's the difference between these 2?

so what I know is the Hawaiian aeae strain is royal.

what's the difference between Florida strain and dang Florida?

so does the Florida strain give variegated fruit? dang Florida doesn't.

all confusing whats the difference?
EXPLAIN each plant??


Then we can tell the difference between the plants.
__________________

🌴
🍌
cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Old 01-20-2021, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ollieb123
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 114
BananaBucks : 4,459
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 26 Times
Was Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnana View Post
EXPLAIN each plant??


Then we can tell the difference between the plants.
No. Itís just I always see Musa aeae Florida. But I also see Hawaiian also. I also see dang Florida. So how does Musa aeae Hawaiian compare to florida? Arenít they the same thing eg does Florida have variegated fruit just like Hawaiian?

Thankss
OllieB497 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To OllieB497
Old 01-20-2021, 07:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Container grower
 
cincinnana's Avatar
 
Location: Southwest Ohio U.S.A
Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
Name: Cin
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,888
BananaBucks : 21,108
Feedback: 7 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,696 Times
Was Thanked 10,039 Times in 4,052 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,566 Times
Default Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieB497 View Post
No. Itís just I always see Musa aeae Florida. But I also see Hawaiian also. I also see dang Florida. So how does Musa aeae Hawaiian compare to florida? Arenít they the same thing eg does Florida have variegated fruit just like Hawaiian?

Thanks
What is a dang florida....


Dang!!!!
__________________

🌴
🍌

Last edited by cincinnana : 01-20-2021 at 08:09 PM.
cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Old 01-21-2021, 01:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ollieb123
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 114
BananaBucks : 4,459
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 26 Times
Was Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnana View Post
What is a dang florida....


Dang!!!!
Look it up. Itís a variegated banana like the aeae.okay whatís the difference btween the Hawaiian and the Florida aeae?
OllieB497 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To OllieB497
Sponsors

Old 01-21-2021, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
Backyard Banana Joe's Avatar
 
Location: Orange County, FL
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,203
BananaBucks : 36,793
Feedback: 2 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 6,045 Times
Was Thanked 1,547 Times in 773 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 155 Times
Default Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieB497 View Post
Look it up. Itís a variegated banana like the aeae.okay whatís the difference btween the Hawaiian and the Florida aeae?

Royal Hawaiian, or Hawaiian, is another name for Ae Ae

Variegated Florida is a completely different variety.

I haven't really heard of dang Florida but I think it is probably another name for Variegated Florida.
Backyard Banana Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Backyard Banana Joe
Said thanks:
Old 01-22-2021, 01:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ollieb123
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 114
BananaBucks : 4,459
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 26 Times
Was Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard Banana Joe View Post
Royal Hawaiian, or Hawaiian, is another name for Ae Ae

Variegated Florida is a completely different variety.

I haven't really heard of dang Florida but I think it is probably another name for Variegated Florida.
Does the variegated Florida have variegated fruit?
People call is Musa aeae Florida.
Look at this link. It says Musa Florida.
https://aseanplantexport.com/musa-banana?product_id=83
OllieB497 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To OllieB497
Said thanks:
Old 01-22-2021, 07:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
Backyard Banana Joe's Avatar
 
Location: Orange County, FL
Zone: 9B
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,203
BananaBucks : 36,793
Feedback: 2 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 6,045 Times
Was Thanked 1,547 Times in 773 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 155 Times
Default Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieB497 View Post
Does the variegated Florida have variegated fruit?
People call is Musa aeae Florida.
Look at this link. It says Musa Florida.
https://aseanplantexport.com/musa-banana?product_id=83

I dunno.... Maybe that particular strain came from Florida? Either that, or they are wrong because I have never heard Ae Ae called Florida, and they are decidedly two different varieties. That being said, I am no expert so I am learning along with everyone!

Yes, variegated Florida fruit are variegated, like Ae Ae. However, Variegated Florida fruit have pointy ends, while Ae Ae fruit have round ends. I know, kind of confusing
Backyard Banana Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Backyard Banana Joe
Old 01-23-2021, 02:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ollieb123
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 114
BananaBucks : 4,459
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 26 Times
Was Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard Banana Joe View Post
I dunno.... Maybe that particular strain came from Florida? Either that, or they are wrong because I have never heard Ae Ae called Florida, and they are decidedly two different varieties. That being said, I am no expert so I am learning along with everyone!

Yes, variegated Florida fruit are variegated, like Ae Ae. However, Variegated Florida fruit have pointy ends, while Ae Ae fruit have round ends. I know, kind of confusing
What the helll. Mind blown Iím so confused now. 😂
OllieB497 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To OllieB497
Old 01-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
 
Location: Geneva, Florida
Zone: 9B, 10
Name: Aaron
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 71
BananaBucks : 2,299
Feedback: 1 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 80 Times
Was Thanked 95 Times in 51 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 27 Times
Default Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Variagated Florida leaves seem almost like camo on the leaves. It looks better in my opinion than aeae, but seems less cold hardy.
Personally, Id rather have variagated Thai giant(can't remember its other name) as its bigger, more robust and more beautiful than the other 2 in my opinion. It is super pricy though.
AaronTT is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To AaronTT
Said thanks:
Old 01-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ollieb123
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 114
BananaBucks : 4,459
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 26 Times
Was Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTT View Post
Variagated Florida leaves seem almost like camo on the leaves. It looks better in my opinion than aeae, but seems less cold hardy.
Personally, Id rather have variagated Thai giant(can't remember its other name) as its bigger, more robust and more beautiful than the other 2 in my opinion. It is super pricy though.
Thatís a nice plant tbf. Musa aeae Florida is nice. Iíve got one coming in March but, itís just nice to have the royal aeae also. I lcoe collecting banana plants.
I have
Musa gros Michel
Musa lady finger
Musa Siam ruby
Musa dwarf namwah
Musa dwarf Orinoco
Musa manzano
Musa basjoo
Musa sikimensis
Musa St. Helens
Dwarf cavendish
Super dwarf cavendish
The ones I want is
Musa aeae Hawaiian
Musa dang Florida
Finally, Musa blue java
So yeah thatís my list. Iíve gone a bit bananas
OllieB497 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To OllieB497
Said thanks:
Old 01-23-2021, 07:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Container grower
 
cincinnana's Avatar
 
Location: Southwest Ohio U.S.A
Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
Name: Cin
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,888
BananaBucks : 21,108
Feedback: 7 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,696 Times
Was Thanked 10,039 Times in 4,052 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,566 Times
Smile Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard Banana Joe View Post

I haven't really heard of dang Florida but I think it is probably another name for Variegated Florida.
There is no such thing as a dang florida.

The word dang was used as an adjective in a post by the OP a few months back and the op kept using the term.

Anyone else ....who wants to clarify please do.....
__________________

🌴
🍌

Last edited by cincinnana : 01-23-2021 at 07:41 PM.
cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Old 01-23-2021, 10:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ollieb123
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 114
BananaBucks : 4,459
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 26 Times
Was Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnana View Post
There is no such thing as a dang florida.

The word dang was used as an adjective in a post by the OP a few months back and the op kept using the term.

Anyone else ....who wants to clarify please do.....
There is such thing as dang Florida. Iíve seen sellers sell it before hold on look at this
https://m.facebook.com/turnittropica...16256892465195

Whatís this then? Iím confused
OllieB497 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To OllieB497
Old 01-30-2021, 06:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Container grower
 
cincinnana's Avatar
 
Location: Southwest Ohio U.S.A
Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
Name: Cin
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,888
BananaBucks : 21,108
Feedback: 7 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,696 Times
Was Thanked 10,039 Times in 4,052 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,566 Times
Smile Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieB497 View Post
There is such thing as dang Florida. I’ve seen sellers sell it before hold on look at this
https://m.facebook.com/turnittropica...16256892465195

What’s this then? I’m confused
Yes... some of the internet sites are confusing.....and designed to separate you from your euro.
__________________

🌴
🍌

Last edited by cincinnana : 01-30-2021 at 07:31 PM.
cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Old 01-31-2021, 03:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ollieb123
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 114
BananaBucks : 4,459
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 26 Times
Was Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnana View Post
Yes... some of the internet sites are confusing.....and designed to separate you from your euro.
Agreed it is confusing
OllieB497 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To OllieB497
Old 02-02-2021, 04:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
 
Location: Charlotte County FL
Zone: 10
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 298
BananaBucks : 5,401
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 3 Times
Was Thanked 235 Times in 107 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Ae'Ae is the "standard" most well known white/green variegated banana aka royal Hawaiian etc.. . Produces fruits said to be more of a cooking style banana

Musa D'ang aka florida white/green variegated produces small skinny very sweet desert style bananas.

these 2 are easily distinguished by leaf pattern, midrib shape and fruit characteristics.
now there is a bunch of new variegated varieties coming out of the asias also though so its about to get even more confusing. Although many new ones seem to have more of a yellow/green color than the above mentioned varieties.

to be clear Ae'Ae and Florida should never be used together in a banana name as they are completely different varieties.
__________________
Current species going:
Dwarf Cavendish first home depot purchase, Apple Mansano TC unconfirmed, Rajapuri TC unconfirmed, Gold Finger TC unconfirmed, Dwarf Namwa TC CONFRIMED, Dwarf Orinoco TC unconfirmed, Sweetheart FHIA-3 CONFIRMED, Tall Red banana CONFIRMED, Blue Java CONFIRMED, Tall Namwa CONFIRMED, Pisang Raja unconfirmed, Hua Moa unconfirmed, Dwarf Brazilian unconfirmed, High Gate unconfirmed, Dwarf Green unconfirmed, Kokopo unconfirmed, FHIA-17 CONFIRMED, Dwarf Plantain CONFIRMED.

Last edited by Mikemooreflorida : 02-02-2021 at 04:22 PM.
Mikemooreflorida is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mikemooreflorida

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:
   

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here


Sponsors

Old 02-03-2021, 01:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Ollieb123
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 114
BananaBucks : 4,459
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 26 Times
Was Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemooreflorida View Post
Ae'Ae is the "standard" most well known white/green variegated banana aka royal Hawaiian etc.. . Produces fruits said to be more of a cooking style banana

Musa D'ang aka florida white/green variegated produces small skinny very sweet desert style bananas.

these 2 are easily distinguished by leaf pattern, midrib shape and fruit characteristics.
now there is a bunch of new variegated varieties coming out of the asias also though so its about to get even more confusing. Although many new ones seem to have more of a yellow/green color than the above mentioned varieties.

to be clear Ae'Ae and Florida should never be used together in a banana name as they are completely different varieties.
Thank you! You legend
OllieB497 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To OllieB497
Old 02-05-2021, 07:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Container grower
 
cincinnana's Avatar
 
Location: Southwest Ohio U.S.A
Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
Name: Cin
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,888
BananaBucks : 21,108
Feedback: 7 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,696 Times
Was Thanked 10,039 Times in 4,052 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,566 Times
Smile Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

D'ang......did not know that....
__________________

🌴
🍌
cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Old 02-06-2021, 02:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Ollieb123
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 114
BananaBucks : 4,459
Feedback: 0 / 0%
Said "Thanks" 26 Times
Was Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnana View Post
D'ang......did not know that....
See! You learn something new every day.
OllieB497 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To OllieB497
Old 02-06-2021, 07:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Container grower
 
cincinnana's Avatar
 
Location: Southwest Ohio U.S.A
Zone: HZ 6/5 Microclimate - Elevation 750 feet- 228.60 meters
Name: Cin
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,888
BananaBucks : 21,108
Feedback: 7 / 100%
Said "Thanks" 3,696 Times
Was Thanked 10,039 Times in 4,052 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,566 Times
Smile Re: musa aeae Florida strain vs Hawaiian strain vs dang florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieB497 View Post
See! You learn something new every day.
Sorry comrade.....being facetious.
__________________

🌴
🍌
cincinnana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cincinnana
Sponsors

Reply   Email this Page Email this Page

Previous Thread: Orlando people
Next Thread: Can this Gros Michel TC be saved?





Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Musa aeae vs musa dang florida OllieB497 Main Banana Discussion 2 12-04-2020 02:14 PM
Cavendish strain chris_zx2 Banana Identification 6 05-18-2016 07:22 PM
I have had a certain banana plant strain gander54 Main Banana Discussion 5 03-11-2011 10:38 AM
Timeline of Fruiting for Each Strain of Banana Ohio'sBest Main Banana Discussion 41 07-11-2009 12:47 PM
Musa 'Florida variegate' or just an AeAe eggo Main Banana Discussion 11 02-29-2008 05:03 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.





Follow us:
Twitter YouTube

All content © Bananas.org & the respective author.