Musa Hua Moa
From Bananas Wiki
Musa 'hua moa'
Hawaiian Plantain (as sold by the company Maya)
(credit the flying dutchman)
(credit harveyc) (purchased in store, distributed by Maya as "Hawaiian Plantain".
The 'Hua Moa' is a sturdy plant with thick trunk that grows to 14 feet tall. It is of solid green color and medium wide leaves. The fruit of the 'Hua Moa' are very fat, growing to 3 inches or more in diameter and 10 to 11 inches long. The texture has no fiber at all and the effect when fried is just delicious. The plant is somewhat cold sensitive and can be injured by temperatures below 40F. Although 'Hua Moa' is from a different geographical region than 'Popoulu' it is very possible that they are the same banana. The plant has been seen on Kauai and Maui. The banana has a very thin skin and it grows in a small bunch (about 4 hands) and is eaten fresh or cooked.
- Genetic Group - AAB
- Date realized in trade -
- Time To Bloom - 12 months from tissue culture plantlets
- Time To Harvest - 2-3 months depending on weather
- Mature Height -
- Survival Zone -
- Fruiting Zone -
- Cold Hardiness -
Poor cold tolerance
- Wind -
- Sun -
- Taste Description - Tostones are great. Ripe fruit is floral.
- Personal Notes - Fast from flowering to harvest, 30-40lbs bunches near Lake Okeechobee. Tissue culture production is unreliable and produces many sports. There are several different bunch phenotypes.
- Growth tips -
- Pests - Thrips, Armyworms seem to prefer this variety.
- Susceptible Diseases - Cordana leaf spot.
- Resistant Diseases -
- Links to useful discussion threads in the forum:
- Typical Price Range -
Members Growing This Banana
- (Links to other useful pages on the web that mention this banana. Example: International Banana Society)