View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 07:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
customgreen

Zone: 10
Name: Bob
BananaBucks : 11,931
Said "Thanks" 5 Times
Was Thanked 46 Times in 27 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Question on Maoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natureboy View Post
I got a dwarf Maoli about a year ago from "A Tree For Me" nursery in Sebastian, FL. I couldn't pass it up since he was selling all his bananas for less than $10 a piece. Now that the Maoli is roughly 12 ft tall and still hasn't flowered, I'm skeptical it's a dwarf, but I suppose the regular Maoli could be much taller. I don't have any perspective since I've never grown it and have not observed anyone else with the same. Glad to hear you enjoy the fruit. Mine has to flower any day now.

I love the magenta petioles on this plant and its massive size. The p-stem on mine is about 14 inches in diameter. It seems like such a vigorous and sturdy plant which I appreciate when we get higher winds around here. We had a very mild winter so wasn't able to gauge it's cold tolerance, but it did not seem phased by near-freezing temps. Will take a pic when I get home in a few days.

Yes mine topped out at about 10-12 feet. The flower was a pretty big one, and the fruit ripened very quickly. Large sausage type bananas. I just saw my first flower on my Pisang Raja. I'm excited about that one also.
customgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To customgreen
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors