View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
bepah
Freelance Botanoeconomist

Zone: 9b
Name: bepah
BananaBucks : 51,365
Said "Thanks" 25 Times
Was Thanked 220 Times in 122 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 406 Times
Default Re: blue java vs orinoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_mcb View Post
i have a question for the people who always look at pics of long skinny purplish blooms. and or flowerless banana plants with powder wax on them. and shout blue java/ice cream. maybe im missing something??

OK what little i know about ice cream/ blue java is that its supposed to be a sport of Orinoco (or at least i heard).. the stems/stalks are supposed to be powdery and have a blue green tinge. the fruits are supposed to have a powdery blue tinge.. that's what i see from the stock photos anyway. kinda reminds me of Cavendish vs gran nain. when i asked no one really knew how to tell the two apart. i know a lot of the confusion has to do with p.t.c. mix ups. i wouldn't doubt that there is someone out there with a full grown 'blue java' that has red Cavendish markings and he has been selling or trading the pups and confusion get perpetuated.

i was trying to i.d. the powder wax banana which i now call tall red tinge Orinoco because the pups are always fire red from ground zero. i also point out the fact that they are regular orinoco..everyone was saying ice cream/blue java. it was weird because the fruits had a deep red pigmentation.. yes even on the fruits. the fruits are not powdery at all they are green and the red it has faded.

anyone have any real blue java fruit pics that are not stock??
Too bad you didn't ask a year ago. I had 3 p-stems flower last year, none so far (and not expected) this year. My understanding is that the Blue Java is the color of the immature bananas as theyt ripen to a blue/green/yellow, as mine did.

My plants themselves have verythin red edges around the leaves and the pstems when young are powdery green.

There are a lot of photos of immature Blue Javas around. Unfortunately, none are mine this year....BTW, my fruit last year DID have a vanilla taste.

Last edited by bepah : 07-24-2010 at 07:18 PM.
bepah is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bepah
Said thanks:
Sponsors