View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
chong

Zone: 8-9
Name: Chong
BananaBucks : 97,061
Said "Thanks" 1,309 Times
Was Thanked 1,701 Times in 758 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 991 Times
Default Re: Super Dwarf Cavendish Care...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragr13 View Post
chong - wow, thanks!

there are some pictures of my plant on my gallery, but here are the spots i am most concerned with:

also, what the he** is up with the huge black area on the pseudostem? it's been there for a long time... the plant was growing very well during the summer months and it was black just like that...

ooops - pics did not show up on this reply. i uploaded them all to my gallery.
Thanks dragr,
It's a lot easier to figure something out if you're actually seeing the problem. Those black spots along the base of the leaves on the pseudostem are normal coloration for this type of banana. In others, they may be maroon, dark green, brown, etc. The brown spots on the leaves, in my experience, are caused by the plant being subjected to a period of dryness or drought, so that in distributing available moisture, certain portions of the plant did not receive enough. And, if the spots appeared after the leaves have unfurled, there is the added possibility that those portions were "sunburned". Either due to some puddles of water in those areas being exposed to sunlight, or sudden exposure to strong sunlight after a long period under the shade.

Anyway, can't turn the clock back, so the thing to do is keep you plant well watered. If it had been dried out before, chances are there may be pocket of dry soil in your pot. What you can do the next time you water the plant, if you do not have a bucket large enough to hold the pot, is tape the holes on the pot shut, then water thoroughly until the water runs over the top. hold it there for an hour before removing the tape. If the water level drops before the hour, just refill it. From then on, make sure that you do not let the pot run completely dry. Just the top 1/2" to 1" is OK to let dry.
chong is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To chong
Said thanks: