View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Bob
Orang Puteh

Zone: 6a
Name: bob
BananaBucks : 205,643
Said "Thanks" 9,537 Times
Was Thanked 4,058 Times in 1,694 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 565 Times
Thumbs up Re: Timeline of Fruiting for Each Strain of Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye5755 View Post
When you guys are talking "Perfect Conditions", do you feel that growing indoors under a 600 Watt HID lighting system, better or worse than conditions in say Florida or Hawaii?

I am growing a Gran Nain and 2 Dwarf Cavendish, and the Gran Nain has really taken off, putting out a new leaf every 3-5 days. I am in Central Ohio, but will be keeping them inside under Grow Lights 12-14 hours a day, 75 degrees, with added humidity. In your estimation, are these conditions under Artificial Lighting, better than outdoor situations in Tropical Areas?

Personally, I am hoping for fruit in 12-16 months. I am currently worried about the size of Pots I should use as they grow. Any suggestions from the experts?
Like a lot of us you're providing an excellent habitat for your naners. 600 watt system is great. Don't forget humidity and air circulation easily provided with a room humidifier and small fan. Just that you cant replicate the tropics entirely. For myself I started collecting more of the dwarf and faster bearing varieties after just buying desirable cultivars for the tropics. Look in to Ca. Gold, Ca. Cold hardy, Dwarf Nam wah, super Dwarf Cavendish( I'm sure your D. Cavendish are as good a choice), Veinte Cohol. These are some that I've determined will give me a chance at a flower and of course I hope fruit if the time of flowering is ideal.
Interesting observation here that all my potted plants outgrew those in the ground until about last week when almost imperceptibly those in the ground caught up or overtook the potted. Good luck, were all learning what works.