View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
proletariatcsp

Zone: zone 10
Name: Chris in FL
BananaBucks : 90,401
Said "Thanks" 148 Times
Was Thanked 186 Times in 83 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: AeAe new leaf problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by niblicksrus View Post
Today I went out and used a fertilizer with micro-nutrients. I also added lime and gypsum and throughly watered everything in. I was wondering if one application of lime would work? I would also like to thank Pete for his contribution to my problem.

Rick
My leaves do it too, and my soil is very Akaline.
Throwing everything at it at once will make it impossible for you to tell which product produces a solution. Also, your soil may be too Akaline like mine, i.e. pH8--which won't kill the plant but it will prevent the plant from taking up certain nutrients from the soil. Check your pH.

Lime raises the pH, Sulfur lowers it. In the past two months I have applied 2 cups of Sulfur and pH down -1point ratio, and still have yet to see a 7.5pH.

My best guess would be too much of a minor or major element (for me). I don't know which one, but I know for sure that the leaves arched and browned like that on my plant one week after I applied a minors-only nutritional spray near the roots. When sprayed directly on the leaves and not in the root zone, the leaves didn't arch.

We have different plants and live in different climates, and whatever it is causing your problems may not be the same as mine. I have not fertilized my banana since March so I am positive it is suffering from over-applied Minors elements and too high pH. You should try a nutritional spray at half the recommended dilution rate and apply it only on the leaves, twice, a couple days apart. If the plant is lacking vigor because of missing elements than you should see results in 1-to-3 leafs. For me, it happened in one week, but like I said, that was on an Ice Cream which I am sure is much more tolerant of chemical mishaps.

Hope it turns around for you soon.

Chris in FL.

Last edited by proletariatcsp : 06-11-2009 at 01:13 AM.
proletariatcsp is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To proletariatcsp