View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Chironex
The causasian Asian!

Zone: I have no idea
Name: Scot
BananaBucks : 117,851
Said "Thanks" 4,544 Times
Was Thanked 1,406 Times in 808 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 609 Times
Send a message via MSN to Chironex Send a message via Yahoo to Chironex
Default Re: Are there any more bananas like Musa basjoo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I have serious doubts as to whether or not this is the real Musa itinerans, and what they have a picture of is var. xishuangbannaensis. They started selling it at about the same time as M. yunnanensis started becoming available, under the mistaken identity of M. itinerans. Also, judging from their description, I would put money on it that they have M. yunnanensis (bluish, waxy pseudostems).

Not in my climate, but this is probably true for the Deep South and into Florida. Also for hot areas out west, like where you live. They both do fine in full sun here.

Frank
I am quoting Tian Zi as well as other Itinerans research sources. I moved mine from full sun in order to keep them from frying. Perhaps your climate is not as intense, but where they are found is in the understory.

Click for Jakarta, Indonesia Forecast

Last edited by Chironex : 04-10-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Chironex is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Chironex
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors