View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Patty in Wisc
tropical nut

Zone: 5
BananaBucks : 337,357
Said "Thanks" 2,946 Times
Was Thanked 2,510 Times in 1,203 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 69 Times
Default Re: Backyard Critters doing damage

Thanks Tog. Good point. Animals can be very territorial. These coons think they own the whole east side here! Couple have been seen walking down Brady street (2 blocks away)- lots of bars, shops & people etc, & they look at you like "what the hell are you looking at?" To be honest, I'd be afraid to go out & hit on them although I'd love to. I hear that if they are cornered, they will attack. But with 2 ppl, might be different story. These guys weigh 20 - 28 lbs....that's BIG!
Since March 20th, I trapped 3 - so far this year. Haven't seen any possum.
Ya know, they only come out at night & everytime I look out, I really don't see them unless they are in trap. I just might try the broom thing if I do. Maybe throw rocks at it to keep a distance (I'm a good shot - I played softball).
Someone suggested antifreeze. Sounds like a cruel way to die but we are overpopulated with these critters. I am not worried about them having it in their system & poisoning other animals. Nothing around would EAT them. Dogs would put up a fight & then we have to worry about rabies if bitten. So, I did put a dish of antifreeze out there. If anything would eat a dead raccoon, it would be one of them. You shoulda seen what they did to a dead squirrel!
When I see these things close up, I'm amazed at how big their teeth & claws are! They have very strong legs too. oooooh, shivers.
Monkeys have strong arms too. I wouldn't want to deal with one of them esp after hearing bout the chimp that ripped off the face of owners friend! Do you think the monkey would win in a fight w/ a coon?
..Almost forgot "situation". They are eating everything in my garden. I originally wanted to trap squirrels for doing so much damage & ended up trapping a total of 73 squirells, 15 raccoon & 11 possum since last June. Last summer I actually got to eat grapes & raspberries & had no broken plants later in summer. I didn't even know this many raccoon & possum were around here.

____
Patty in Wisc has sadly passed away 9/05/11. We will miss you Patty.

Last edited by Patty in Wisc : 04-10-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Patty in Wisc is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Patty in Wisc
Said thanks: