View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
edwmax

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 88,787
Said "Thanks" 1,741 Times
Was Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,095 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 414 Times
Default Re: Question about Banana Mats/Corms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor_X View Post
So everyone usually agrees that removing excess suckers allows the main plant(s) to grow better by allowing the corm to focus more energy on it.

But what about getting the corm to grow faster...
I have a theory that leaving the Mat alone allows the corm to grow much faster by getting way more energy from all the plants combined because it essentially creates a giant solar array. Am I correct in this?

I'm testing this out, I have a couple new Orinoco Mats I started last year from single suckers.
One of my mats is completely untouched and is growing at an unprecedented rate even after dying back this crazy winter.

It started off with a main plant and 2 water suckers. Now it has 9 plants growing and the last 5 plants have all been sword suckers meaning the corm has grown a lot and has plenty of energy. Banana growth on all the plants has seemed unaffected and just keeps skyrocketing. I've left all water suckers on and while they started off growing slowly they have now picked up the pace. I can only imagine the corm has grown a ton.

So am I correct in this theory?

I have no problem with my mats doing this. I even have several stalks fruiting at the same time. .... As for the new pups, they do not draw that much nutrients away from the central corm. But, the new pups do soon start contributing to the 'collective' as their roots grow. ... I have stated many times in my post that I do not thin out new pups from the existing mats.