Thread: DIY Biochar
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 06:19 AM   #33 (permalink)
Snarkie
The Cat Whisperer

Zone: 8b, pushing 9a
Name: D.A. Hänks
BananaBucks : 155,399
Said "Thanks" 1,218 Times
Was Thanked 1,970 Times in 1,145 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,049 Times
Default Re: DIY Biochar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruzinsky
Why don't you just perform an experiment that shows that biochar is better? Just plant two identical plants in pots, one with biochar and one with perlite and let the plants grow. It doesn't even have to be bananas.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I added a little bit to this bed earlier this year, along with some other odds and ends. I learned the secret of Terra Preta years ago while creating soil for my dawn redwoods, and biochar is a major contributor to it.

Perlite is essentially inert; it's like puffy popcorn sand that allows drainage, but charcoal not only allows that space, it is very absorbent. 1 gram of the stuff has the same surface area of several football fields. 5 gallons of char eventually absorbed 6 gallons of urine. I daresay that 5 gallons of Perlite might absorb less than a half gallon if that; mostly due to surface tension.

Not trying to inject myself into someone else's argument, but this is my experience with biochar. In addition to the 20" leaves on the pumpkins (usually around 6-8"), even the tomato to the left has 6" leaves according to the ruler, and in a few weeks, you'll see the harvest as it begins to ripen. I've never had this many maters or cukes on the vine, and my parsley is close to two feet tall.

BTW, that's a steel ruler that leaf is supporting. Think they grow 'em big in Texas? Texas ain't got nuthin' on North Carolina!

The Only Eastern Redwood Forest in America

"Nuke my 'nanners, will you?!"
Snarkie is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Snarkie
Said thanks: