View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 05:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
CanBanDo

BananaBucks : 1,828
Said "Thanks" 15 Times
Was Thanked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: Help Identifying Banana & Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdoofus View Post
Well good luck, hopefully it makes it. Mine rotted to the point that I am not sure its salvageable, but I tried anyway. The interesting thing was that it looked like it rotted from the top down. In other words, the bulk of the roots looked healthy, but the upper part of the corm was definitely gone and I stopped cutting before I cut away the entire corm, but I probably could have. Its now in Perlite

Outer leaves a little soft so pulled them off, but hey, there's a nice new leaf coming out, maybe it's OK?

But then I noticed the big brown spot at the base, not a good sign.

So I pulled the rest of the outer leaf sheaths off and.....oops, not looking promising at all.

So then I stripped it down to the corm and roots. Corm not so good but a lot of good looking roots in there.

Top of the corm, brownish, soft and spotty

After cutting and cleaning as much as I dare

potted in straight perlite after soaking in a bleach solution for about 1 hour.

I'll keep it dry for a week or so and then keep it lightly moist. Time will tell and of course if it works, I will post an update
Thanks for the share. Should be interesting to compare notes in a few weeks from now!
CanBanDo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To CanBanDo
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors