View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
smeash

Zone: 9a
BananaBucks : 21,201
Said "Thanks" 385 Times
Was Thanked 872 Times in 443 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 67 Times
Default Re: Beginner banana grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odomprentice42 View Post
Thanks all quick question what kind of fertilizer do everyone use?
Fertilizer is one of those questions, like asking what is everyones favorite banana! Fertilizer, will depend on your goal for the plant, your growing season,soil type, and whether you grow organic or not. My best advice to a beginner, as i am one as well, is this.
-A balanced fertilizer such as 10/10/10 or 13/13/13 works well. Dosage can be tricky until you figure out the plants needs.
-Add lots of organic material to your soil, and mulch heavily with wood chips, grass clippings, leaves and trimmings from the bananas themselves. Manure and compost are good things to mix in or pile on after. Let manure rot for a few months so as not to burn your plants.
-There are lots of specially formulated fertilizers for bananas, and while they work well, they are expensive if you are growing more than a few plants.
Bananas love nitrogen, and love even potassium more. Ideal blends may have an NPK of 15/5/30.. or something similar.
-Learn the basic symptoms of overfertilization, as well as nutrient deficiency, it will help you adjust your feeding.
-I personally suggest feeding weekly once you figure out your monthly dosage of fertilizer for the growing season. This has helped me fine tune my dosage based on the plants reaction to the fertilizer.. Once you figure out the best regimen for your plants, you can feed less frequently if you choose.
I am new at this too.. but am having good results.. i have learned a ton here .. hope you do as well! Best of luck!
smeash is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To smeash
Said thanks: