View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Blacksmoke

BananaBucks : 6,900
Said "Thanks" 36 Times
Was Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Why is my BD flowering now!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmoke View Post
March of last year I added a 3’ Brazilian Dwarf I got from a member here and planted it into the ground with home made worm castings.

This summer it took off to about 12’ and yesterday I just noticed a huge red pod with a hint of one layer of about 30 fingers.

I live in Orange County,will these fully grow or did it flower too late this year?
There is another large pup I left hoping it will go next year(now about 5’).
And a few one footers I plan to transplant ASAP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beam2050 View Post
your banana does not know seasons, its flowering because its ready to.

pretty much what you have to worry about is the occasional frost. keep the bunch covered and warm when you think a frost is coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitangadiego View Post
It is flowering because it has reached that point in its development/age. It is common for plants in SoCal to flower in spring and fall. As long as you don't have frost or freeze, the plants will continue to flower and mature the bananas, which will probably ripen i April/May.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
yeup!
Very cool,Thanx a “BUNCH” guys!
It’s 90° during the days right now and 55° lows at night here,and we rarely see temps in the low 30’s but I will keep a close eye through the winter.
I do see squirrels and raccoons in my backyard regularly,is there anything I should do like zip tie a burlap bag around the bunch?
How about cutting the flower off at some point?
I also have another 5’ I have left for next season and several 12” pups I prolly should transplant,which I will make available to any members.
Thanx again,I’m so excited!
Blacksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Blacksmoke
Said thanks:
Sponsors