View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 07:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Natureboy

Zone: 9B
Name: Nate
BananaBucks : 46,171
Said "Thanks" 124 Times
Was Thanked 138 Times in 59 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 7 Times
Default Re: Question on Maoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by customgreen View Post
I have a Maoli that was about 18 inches tall when I planted it in Feb of 2018. The plant is now 10-12 feet tall and has a large flower emerging. My question is this. Do Maoli's produce that quickly? I was very surprised to see the flower coming out today, I was thinking somewhere around May. The plant is one of the fastest growers I have in my garden.
I got a dwarf Maoli about a year ago from "A Tree For Me" nursery in Sebastian, FL. I couldn't pass it up since he was selling all his bananas for less than $10 a piece. Now that the Maoli is roughly 12 ft tall and still hasn't flowered, I'm skeptical it's a dwarf, but I suppose the regular Maoli could be much taller. I don't have any perspective since I've never grown it and have not observed anyone else with the same. Glad to hear you enjoy the fruit. Mine has to flower any day now.

I love the magenta petioles on this plant and its massive size. The p-stem on mine is about 14 inches in diameter. It seems like such a vigorous and sturdy plant which I appreciate when we get higher winds around here. We had a very mild winter so wasn't able to gauge it's cold tolerance, but it did not seem phased by near-freezing temps. Will take a pic when I get home in a few days.

Current varieties: Dwarf Namwah, FHIA-03 (Sweetheart), White Iholena, Maoli, Orinoco, Manzano (Apple), Praying Hands, Dwarf Brazilian, Pisang Raja, Rajapuri, Ice Cream (Blue Java), FHIA-01 (Goldfinger), Kandarian
Natureboy is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Natureboy