View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 07:03 AM   #33 (permalink)
Lilith

Zone: 9
Name: Gina Anne
BananaBucks : 80,625
Said "Thanks" 20 Times
Was Thanked 136 Times in 52 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1 Times
Default Re: Musa ornata "Milky Way" heading toward extinction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton3666 View Post

Hi members,
As I am still looking for musa ornata "Milky Way"

I were told the musa ornata "Milky Way" were disappearing from nurseries in world and seems confined to Thailand.

Musa ornata "Milky Way" were heading toward extinction in USA and Austria & Europe.

Resently Plant-Group told me they no longer have "Milky Way".

The owner of Achim's banana shop were a very bad man and were rude to a member of Bananas.org & abused him. He had money budgeting problems.
He also stealing money from his friends & owners of nurseries & some members of Bananas.org by tricked them into send money to him by lying to them.

Gina Anne (Lilith) is only woman in USA I know, to had growing musa ornata "Milky Way" at her place, but she is not helpful and is not willing to sell or give away to members of Bananas.org. Few years ago I got angry with her when she made an exuse by said "sorry, I do not do international mailing."

A woman named Linda (Lindra-GEL) lives in Austria and was a helpful woman and would like to send me some musa ornata "Milky Way", but her plants had not produced suckers yet. I been very helpful toward her & adviced her about how to grow musa ornata "Milky Way". I have to wait for 1-2 next years before I get suckers from her. She know about Achim's banana shop.

I worried I not able to import tissue cultures of musa ornata "Milky Way" to New Zealand and if I cannot get hold of musa ornata "Milky Way", the plants will be extinct in 10 years time from now.

The banana plant breeder Cheesman had died 50 years ago.
He hybridized musa velutina and musa flaviflora and then backcrossed them to produce hybrid "Milky Way"
I do not know about musa flaviflora were a wild banana plant and may be an other name for either musa ornata or musa velutina.

I were planning to hybridize pink-flowered musa ornata and musa velutina & backcross the hybrid plants to try to breed "Milky Way" at my place.
That will take years.

Unless we must save musa ornata "Milky Way" these plants will face extinction.

This means I must have them by Sept this year.

To export the plants means they need to be tissue cultured and tissue cultures will be send to New Zealand to me.

PLEASE do NOT let the musa ornata "Milky Way" heading toward extinction.

Cheers

Clinton.
Wow, what a blast from the past to come on and read my name from 2009 and hear that someone is/was angry at me for not being willing to ship a banana plant to them through the International mail. I have been absent not only from this forum but from taking care of my (rather large) collection of (some rare some not) plants for 10 years. Almost since this original post was made. Because I had an illness in my family that made it necessary for me to kind of drop all but the most basic care of my plants, and drop all of my social media with my plant hobby, and drop all of my trading and going to plant sales, and all of my memberships in plant organizations, to deal with one on one 24/7 for the last 10 years. Its gotten better, so much so that last August, I was finally able to start to come back to my hobby. Clinton, if you are still around, I stopped trading plants even before that happened with people who do not also live in the state of FLORIDA because the USA agricultural regulations have gotten so strict that it has made almost any instance where a normal person who sends a plant that has any roots on it (and some states, just ANY PLANT cutting rooted or whatever) is actually BREAKING THE LAW because they do not possess a valid NURSERY LICENSE. So I am sorry you were angry that I would not spend time digging up, sanitizing, packing and going down and spending $35 USD for a single Phytosanitary certification, then obtaining an export permit to legally mail it out of the country, and spending an exorbitant amount of money on postage to mail it over seas. During my absence from plant maintenance, I developed a new indoor hobby, beadwork. I sometimes buy beautiful glass cabochons from a glass artist in LATVIA. She can send ME the glass piece for $5 by her postal system. If there was a problem and I needed to send it back, it would cost me $62.50. I am sorry if you never got a Musa Milky way. If its any consolation to you, I lost mine while I was busy being a caretaker for my ill family member. So now neither one of us have one.
11/2008 Outer Banks Marathon 26.2, Kitty Hawk NC--3:50
2/2009 5 Points of Life Marathon, 26.2, Gainesville FL--4:00
4/2009 Boston Marathon, 26.2-- 4:38
10/2009 Marine Corps Marathon, DC, 26.2--457
1/2010 Houston Marathon, 26.2--3:55:09
2/2010 5 Points of Life Marathon, Gainesville--415
Halloween Day 2010 Marine Corps Marathon, DC--
2/2011--Austin TX Marathon--
Lilith is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Lilith
Said thanks: