View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
modenacart

Zone: 8
BananaBucks : 75,214
Said "Thanks" 26 Times
Was Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default Re: What did you graft today ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeReal View Post
Grafting for me is year round. I have potted plants inside the house so I can graft rain or shine.

Done about ten days ago:
Was really fortunate to purchase very few Tango budwoods and so took the most of my share of the buds. They all took, and I am doing the Tango!

By joereal at 2008-03-05

Tango on the Volk, coming out strong. I have to test for myself if indeed it will produce insipid fruits. Perhaps with our climate it would turn out fine just like the Yosemite Gold on rough lemons. It may not be supersweet but just the right sweetness for our taste.

By joereal at 2008-03-05

Tango T-bud and Gold Nugget bark graft combo on the Volk. I've tasted Gold Nugget produced on the Volk, and with proper length of time on the tree, it turned out really well. It is a good keeper. These are two of the most recommended mandarin types for our area, but not the rootstock though. The worst that can happen is that I would have plenty of budwoods from the vigorous growth on Volk (in fact some propagators could use the technique of grafting for budwood propagation, and not primarily fruit production).

By joereal at 2008-03-05
Of course, as the tip given to me by Bonnie, Prof Manners and MrTexas, Flying dragon are excellent rootstocks when you want high quality fruits. And I have already a SRA 92 with two blooms, a Gold Nugget and a Tango budded and already sprouting. Will plan to add one more mandarin before chopping off the remainder of the Flying Dragon

By joereal at 2008-03-05
And of course, I'm into multi-graft who want to have it all on one tree in a residential lot with itty bitty yard.

I am in the early stages of assembling a multi-grafted mandarin tree. Already sprouting are Tango, Gold Nugget, Corsica #1, Sidi Aissa, and China Satsuma S-9. Will plan to add more later.
If you graft something on sour orange, then later graft a part of that graft on flying dragon will it still turn out as good?
modenacart is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To modenacart
Said thanks: