View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 05:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
bushwack

BananaBucks : 29,474
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 249 Times in 93 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 26 Times
Default Re: small pup corms attached to mother corm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaczercat View Post
I ran into this too, Separate once they get established. It's something we don't really notice until the pup breaks soil surface or gets a bit of stem. Those are some big plants! How long have you been growing them to get to that stage? also what zone are you in?
Should be about 7a, Marshall county, Western Kentucky.

This was my first year for them

I got five plants from a fellow, Don't know how old they were, I'm assuming they were last years pups from the way they looked

The two biggest ones on the right were about three - four inches in diameter at the base and four - five foot tall (p stem) no leafs .
The other three were about half that size,
one of them, I guess the shortest one, rotted about a half a foot from the corm so I cut it off.

Planted them and they took off to this size in about six months.

every one in the neighborhood was totally amazed, including me!!!

He said they liked lots of water and fertilizer, so I fed them heavy with commercial triple 13 with pelleted lime as a filler, and had the neighbor water them about every day , (unless it rained).
They are at my lake house on Kentucky lake and I'm only there on the weekends

they are supposed to be Orinoco's,, I wonder how tall they will get this year?
That is a ten foot ceiling they are standing in

I don't think some of the pups wintered too good, (about thirty from these five plants),
they seemed to have rotted up the center of the corm. (outer corm and stalk look good), that's why I think I didn't get close enough when cutting the pup off, (was afraid of getting too close to the mother).

first year, living and learning!!!
bushwack is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To bushwack
Said thanks: