Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 12:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tytaylor77
Banana Plants for Trade

Zone: 8b
Name: Ty
BananaBucks : 47,796
Said "Thanks" 4,612 Times
Was Thanked 3,726 Times in 1,185 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 424 Times
Default Re: Hello

Thank you Santosh!

Honestly any banana north of Georgia will take work! Veinte Cohol fruit here in my zone 8b in a single season! That’s coming up from a pup and ripe fruit before first frost! Everyone doesn’t have the same success. So far the only 3 I have grown in a single season is the VC, Patupi, and Iholena “Tigua” in that order. I’m working on more but haven’t be successful yet! This winter was insane! 16f was the low! I lost every single pstem. They will pup back up but that will mess up a lot of my fruiters. Since any other type I grow here takes over 1 season to get fruit.

You can try VC! They HATE cold and will grow very slow in it. I would recommend keeping potted pups over winter inside or in a greenhouse timed out where they get planted as 3-4’ pups into the ground. It will give you a jump start. Along with pruning right after flowering will speed filling of the ones left.

Just starting I would start slow! Don’t buy expensive variegated plants! Just get a dwarf Orinoco or Raja Puri and maybe a VC. After you have some experience with them you can move into the more rare and expensive ones if you wish. Big difference between loosing a $15 plant vs a $150 plant! Most will confirm growing banana plants is much different from any other plant you have grown! Especially for us zone pushers! Anyone can grow them in the tropics! Good luck and PM me anytime. I’m happy to help and share details of my methods. Not sure when I will have pups available because of the winter but I sell common pups for $10.