View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 06:19 AM   #33 (permalink)
edwmax

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 88,645
Said "Thanks" 1,741 Times
Was Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,095 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 414 Times
Default Re: Help! Normal Shipping Stress or Disease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanana View Post
Well sddarkman said his are hardened off so I will place them outside under my makeshift shade cover in a week and see if they improve. Tomorrow I will repot them in 1 gallon containers to give the roots more room to grow. I hope they grow into healthy trees as I have read the Goldfinger is a good tasting banana.
Be careful of how deep you repot the plant. Bananas are not like tomatoes, deeper is not better. ... One of your photos above seems to show the plant has soil up almost to the end of an old leaf stem on the pstem. I'm not sure it was potted deeper or the leaf sheaf has been peeled to almost to the soil.

Anyway banana plants normally have their roots just under the top of the soil. On larger plants, the corm crown will be at or just above the soil and one might see few roots running on top of the ground. .... One does not bury any plant so that its leaves are also buried. The pstem of a banana plant is ALL leaves (100%) & leaf stem.

Your plants from skdarkman looks good. Just give them a little time to grow. Oh, the depth of green will very between different verities of bananas. So comparing the Goldfinger (lighter green) to the darker green Basjo is like comparing the Granny Smith apple to a ripe Macintosh apple.