Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tytaylor77
Banana Plants for Trade

Zone: 8b
Name: Ty
BananaBucks : 47,404
Said "Thanks" 4,612 Times
Was Thanked 3,726 Times in 1,185 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 424 Times
Default Re: Hello

I am no expert but have tried so many different methods. I have tried vermiculite. Perlite. Paper towels. Microwaved soil. Normal soil. Sand. Indoor. Outdoor. Greenhouse.

Here is my method and what seems to work best for banana seeds for me.

I take seeds and let them sit in physan 20/water mix. (2 tsp per gal of water) for 20 mins. I have used hydrogen peroxide mix before but like physan better. I use the same mix to pre clean everything I use as containers to germinate them in. I like the air tight Tupperware style boxes best but also use plastic bags.

Take them out of the physan mix and soak them in distilled water for 3-7 days depending how fresh I think the seeds are. I change the water daily and let them sit on the heat mat.

Best media I have found for banana seeds is pure spagnum peat moss. I store it dry not wet and always try to buy the dry sealed bags.

Put peat into the container and soak it with water. Then I squeeze all the water out I can get. Then I take a fork and fluff it up the best I can and place the seeds on top. No peat covering the seeds so I can watch for mould or problems.

Seal them up on a heat mat set to 90F. Then covered with a blanket to block light.

Then wait. Banana seeds are like nothing I have ever experienced. They have a mind of their own. I have had germination in 2 weeks once. Most have germinated in 2-3 months. I have some velutina still popping up and it's currently 5 months. I have read stories of some germinating after 2 years.

Don't expect a high germination rate. And be patient. It's still very fun and rewarding though. Finding a new sprout still makes me feel like it's Christmas morning.

Good luck and keep us updated. Hope I'm not leaving anything I do out. Check out the germination part of the forum. There is so much awesome info in there.