View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
kubali
kubali

Zone: 9B
Name: kub
BananaBucks : 36,892
Said "Thanks" 1,939 Times
Was Thanked 1,438 Times in 627 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 1,608 Times
Default Re: banana newbie here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aje127 View Post
Hi everybody. I'm April. I live in zone 9b, Orlando. I was given a mystery banana back in the spring. I put it in a really large pot and it has grown like crazy. (From 8" to about 6' in 10 months) I'm thinking I will put it in the ground in the spring. Right now I have it in my little greenhouse. Just not sure where to put it permanently. I have an acre south and an acre north of the house. Any suggestions. Also once i get it in the ground at what temp do I need to protect it AND how do I do that AND lastly, when will this thing start giving me bananas. Thanks all you Bananas out there. By the way is there a good ' how to grow bananas for dummies in zone 9b ' That someone could recommend.
put it in the acre facing south side of the house keep the northern wind off it.
here in Florida in most cases throw a blanket on it, if anything you will only lose foliage and not the plant itself, unless it gets like it was in 2010 down to 24 degrees then you had better get out the Christmas lights and cover it.
as for how long will it take to bloom there are a lot of variables there, but rule of thumb in this zone 18 months and you should see a bloom or sooner. And here is some basic info on bananas Growing Bananas - How To Grow Banana Plants And Keep Them Happy
hope that helps you if you need any more help just post and plenty of nice people here to help you....................kub
kubali is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To kubali
Said thanks: