View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
robguz24
Rob

Zone: 11
Name: Rob
BananaBucks : 261,208
Said "Thanks" 1,320 Times
Was Thanked 4,961 Times in 1,080 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 204 Times
Default Rose Taste Report

TEXTURE-creamy, a little pasty like a Cavendish can be.

FIRMNESS-somewhat firm, especially for how creamy the texture is.

SWEETNESS-sweet like a Cavendish, not quite as super sweet as a Sucrier. The sweetness is kind of ideal to me for a banana with no tartness.

TARTNESS-None.

RIPENESS-Tasted most of them perfectly yellow ripe. With some green they aren’t good, and with brown spots they are still ok, but not as good as perfectly yellow.

FLAVOR-As my partner said, “it tastes like a banana.” It’s clearly different than a Cavendish, and doesn’t leave an unpleasant aftertaste like Cavendish types do (to my taste). Not especially complex. Maybe something a little floral tasting, but very slight. Almost like a mix between a sucrier and a Cavendish, leaning more towards a Cavendish.

OTHER-The skin is very thin, like on a Sucrier. The fruit are very small. I don’t know if they just didn’t fill in properly, or if this is just how they are. Descriptions I’ve read and pictures I’ve seen show mine were probably a bit smaller than normal. This was my first harvest. The next p-stem is already 3 feet taller than the first one and hasn’t put out a flag leaf yet. They fall apart from the hand easily when ripe. The inner part of the fruit had a bit of hardness or rubbery feel, something I’ve had on other fruit that didn’t fill out well.

OVERALL RATING-7-7.5. They’re good, but not especially interesting. They’re in the category with 1000 fingers and Sucrier for me. I enjoy them and could eat them regularly, but I generally prefer sub-acid bananas.

SUGGESTED USE-Out of hand or in dessert. Same as you’d use a Cavendish type.
robguz24 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To robguz24
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors