View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 01:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
marco

Zone: 6
Name: marco
BananaBucks : 18,176
Said "Thanks" 2 Times
Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Default My 'two directions' with 'Palm Majesty' Ravenea rivularis

I have a pretty nice 4' Palm Majesty that, I'm somewhat ashamed to say, I bought at Kroger for about $12.

What I'm NOT ashamed of, though, is the fact that it's done well and actually GROWN some inside our house in the year and a half since I bought it.

(And I was a little bit leery buying it... because palms were the [b]one /B] thing I'd been having trouble growing... I had killed one BIG one before this one.)

This plant again is 4', and is on a 1' metal pedistal (to keep the ferrets from climbing in it and un-earthing it).
It sits in a decent eastern exposure behind vertical blinds that are open all day.
The house is around 70 F, and I water the plant well only after I know it's had a decent 'dry down' period.
I 'mist ' it regularly with distilled water, as I do with the ferns and the naners.

What's happening lately is that is appears that the plant is going in 'two directions'.
Up until when we closed up the house when the weather got cooler, it had been a stable, green, palm plant.

Suddenly, the thing has started to throw fronds out like crazy, and the top looks great! But at the same time, the older fronds at the bottom and middle have developed brown tips at the ends of the leaflets, and in many cases the leaflets have browned completely.
Thus... my "two directions"

I still have the tag that came with it.
It says it's a zone 10-11 plant.
Interesting grey swollen trunk (yes)
Not drought tolerant.
medium to high light
Dark green leaves (I think leaves could be darker on mine!)
Plant in rich, humusy soil on the acidic side ( I did, using sulfur and cottonseed meal)
Fertilize with a balanced fertilizer ( I've been using 8-7-6 w/ micros)

Sorry, I've got no pics right now...
Maybe soon.

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing the browning and dying?
marco is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To marco

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors