View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
sunfish
Banned

Zone: 9-11
Name: Tony
BananaBucks : 947,096
Said "Thanks" 3,210 Times
Was Thanked 20,591 Times in 7,760 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,716 Times
Default Re: A real beginner question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mand View Post
So what actually is the difference between ornamental, and not ornamental?

Is it seeds, simple as that?

Is it being edible or not? And are the non-edibles actually inedible (bad for you) or just uneatable (unpalatable)? or is that, again, about seeds?

Bear in mind I don't know anything about bananas. I once made a recipe and got mush, because I didn't know "banana" meant "plantain" given where the recipe came from (this was online). I'd heard the word plantain and just vaguely knew it was some kind of foreign foodstuff... this was many moons ago though. But my understanding of varieties of banana, ways of eating them etc, is narrow but widening rapidly since I found this forum. For instance I gather you have cookers and eaters, like apples...? That's a guess, I only saw a mention of them yesterday.

My only experience of bananas different from "normal" (= what Everyone Knows, = what the shops sell) was in Jordan when they were half the size we're used to and lovely n sweet, which we assumed was because fresher than we can buy here. I didn't know you got different colours (red etc) until this week.

Now what is this ignoramus doing on a banana forum anyway, eh.
edible vs. non-edible
sunfish is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sunfish
Said thanks: