View Single Post
Old 12-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #792 (permalink)
robguz24
Rob

Zone: 11
Name: Rob
BananaBucks : 261,321
Said "Thanks" 1,320 Times
Was Thanked 4,961 Times in 1,080 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 204 Times
Default Re: What's blooming in your garden? (bananas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananimal View Post
Rob --- how come so many of your fruiting pstems are leaning to such a degree? Soil so dense that pups can't push laterally before emerging?

Everything looks real good otherwise.
All the Ice Creams lean, but this particular one blew over almost totally in a storm and is now propped up in 3 directions. I lose more than half my Ice Cream bunches due to this leaning. Sucrier is another big leaner, but not quite as bad. Namwah, Dwarf Namwah, and 1000 fingers lean some, but I've not had them topple over. My last 65lb Namwah bunch never even had to be propped up.

It's bits of soil amongst chunks of lava rock with mulch on top! But pups just push the rock out of the way. It's kind of amazing. But what also tends to happen is mats rise, because they can't push the rock down. With Ice Creams, I've even totally replanted them deeper, and they still always need to be propped.

Here is what my lot was like when I started, and what it is like below anything I plant. The 2nd picture is the hole left once I removed another Ice Cream that fell over.

Last edited by robguz24 : 12-24-2013 at 07:34 PM.
robguz24 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To robguz24
Said thanks: