View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
DoctorSteve

Zone: 9b
BananaBucks : 171,038
Said "Thanks" 81 Times
Was Thanked 306 Times in 158 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 41 Times
Default Re: Coconuts and cold tolerance

Quote:
I just bought a "GOLD MALAY DWARF COCONUT~ Cocos nucifera SEED." I will plant it in a pot first. After if it gets too big enough to bring inside my greenhouse, I guess I will do the test of planting it outside next to my salt water pool in zone 8 area- Dallas. My bananas are doing well. I have put some of the bananas that fruited late in a large container-growing well. And for my California Gold and Saba seems to be firm in ground outside. Of course I cover it with poly Tarp cover. Maybe next year, I will use the Christmas tree light to give it extra warmth.

Im also considering getting the Mini Coconut Palm and the Bolivian Coconut.
I only like investing on edible plant and trees.
I sure miss the feel of the tropical paradise..can't we bring some of those paradise here in Texas too?
This place did and it gets colder there; GREATER GOODNA NEWS Councillor Paul Tully - Division 2 City of Ipswich: What a lovely bunch of coconuts - in downtown Goodna!
Yes this is what I am talking about. We need to get our hands on coconuts from palms in areas like these. Places that get occasional frosts or mild frosts every year, and still survive.

I say we start looking. Know someone in Australia? Have them go grab some and try growing them.

I love the enthusiasm that this is getting.

By the way this is the average weather for that area. Looks like Southern California weather to me.
Goodna, Australia Weather Averages | Monthly Average High and Low Temperature | Average Precipitation and Rainfall days | World Weather Online
DoctorSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To DoctorSteve
Sponsors