Thread: Passiflora
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #925 (permalink)
sunfish
Banned

Zone: 9-11
Name: Tony
BananaBucks : 949,346
Said "Thanks" 3,210 Times
Was Thanked 20,591 Times in 7,760 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2,716 Times
Default Re: Passiflora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Passifloramye View Post
Hi all, I need some help with id of my passiflora. It was sold as P. quadrangularis, but I realised straight away it wasn't the case as the leaves had 2 petiole glands, so my conclusion was P. phoenicea (according to: Passiflora alata Key). Before the flower buds opened I started to suspect that as the bracts were very small, hardly noticeable on many of them. Also the sepals seamed the same length as the petals, so I again checked the petiole glends and found some leaves (very few) with four of them. Today the first flowers opened and I'm even more confused. sepals do look shorter than petals, but not so much, the color is not as red as with P. alata, but not as purple as with P. phoenicea. Now I believe that it is either a cross between P. alata and P. phoenicea, or a variety of alata. Could it be that P. 'Ruby glow' is a cross between this two, or a form of P. alata? I've read that what used to be considered P. alata var. 'Ruby Glow" is now a separate species P. phoenicea. Again, maybe P. phoenicea and P. 'Ruby Glow' are not two of the same taxa... BTW, mine has purplish-lilac petals outside and the corona filaments seam much longer than those of P. phoenicea. To conclude, the plants has traits from both species. I was going to upload the pic, but can't do it straight from my camera, is there a way I;m not aware of? Many thanks.
Could be a hybrid of the two. I have fruit with this cross.

Last edited by sunfish : 10-05-2012 at 08:59 AM.
sunfish is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To sunfish
Said thanks: