View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 09:03 AM   #14 (permalink)
EuroBanana

Zone: 9
BananaBucks : 42,852
Said "Thanks" 28 Times
Was Thanked 59 Times in 39 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 2 Times
Default Re: Agristarst's dwarf namwah

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
I absolutely agree with you! 100%
I would also love to see the removal of any trade names on plants! Only the scientific names should be used .. I truly believe people are smart enough to understand the names once they read them.. Or at a minimum it be a regulation to include scientific names on plants, foods, pets and any other living thing we purchase
No more cloning around <-- My attempt at tissue culture joke
Yes Trebor, you are right.
This maybe easier to do with natural pure (?) species like Leo leo or Litchi sinensis. The problem with bananas is that they mainly come from hybridation and the denomination of certain clones is a little bit indigestible. Adding one have to manage analysis of plant genome to distinguish what really they are it appears that the problemof identification is maybe without solution unless you have a very powerfull genetics laboratory ....

Just as a curiosity have a look please at the (partial) genealogical tree of musa Goldfinger :

The FHIA-01 Goldfinger banana is a tetraploid (AAAB) hybrid of the cultivar Musa acuminata × balbisiana (AAB) 'Prata-ană' (a naturally occurring triploid clone from Brazil), and the cultivar SH-3142.

SH-3142 was developed from a cross between SH-1734 and Musa acuminata (AA) 'Pisang jari buaya' from Papua New Guinea.

SH-1734 in turn, was developed from Musa acuminata (AA) 'Lidi' (from Sumatra), Musa acuminata (AA) 'Sinwobogi' (from Papua New Guinea), and wild seeded Musa acuminata (from the Philippines).[1]

Its full designation is Musa acuminata × balbisiana (AAAB Group) 'FHIA-01 Goldfinger'.

Phil

In the ground outside :
- Dwarf Brazilian
- Tall orinoco
- Rajapuri
- Manzano
- Tall namwah aka "US-ice cream"
- Dwarf orinoco.

Waiting to be planted :
- Goldfinger
- Mysore
- Pisang mas
- "Figue family"
- Dwarf namwah.

Just for fun in pots :
- Basjoo
-Sikkimensis red tiger

Last edited by EuroBanana : 06-26-2012 at 09:14 AM.
EuroBanana is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To EuroBanana
Said thanks: