View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
GreenFin

Zone: 6a
BananaBucks : 87,752
Said "Thanks" 1,396 Times
Was Thanked 939 Times in 334 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 44 Times
Default Re: New Member that cultivates bananas in a greenhouse

I've been searching for info on the Turkish banana industry to see if there's a standard type that's commonly grown (which might help with identifying bananafarmer's plants).

The first bit I found was a paper that compared outdoor Dwarf Cavendish to greenhouse Dwarf Cavendish.

The second bit I found was a summary of the industry that says, "The type of banana produced in Turkey is called Musa Cavendish or Dwarf Cavendish."

Third bit is an abstract from another paper: "The objective of this study was to evaluate the production potential of banana cultivars, 'Grand Nain', 'Petit Nain', 'Poyo', 'Williams' and 'Basrai', as alternatives to the 'Dwarf Cavendish' for open-field and greenhouse cultivation in subtropical conditions. Stem circumference, stem height, total leaf number, bunch stalk circumference, days from shooting to harvest, number of hands per bunch, number of fingers per bunch, finger circumference, finger length and bunch weight were measured in open-field and greenhouse cultivation. Cultivars 'Williams' and 'Grand Nain' were superior to 'Dwarf Cavendish' in greenhouse cultivation, while these two cultivars and 'Petit Nain' and 'Basrai' were superior to 'Dwarf Cavendish' in open-field cultivation. 'Poyo' was not suitable for greenhouse cultivation because of its excessive height and for open-field cultivation due to its sensitivity to wind damage. Greenhouse cultivation of bananas was superior to open-field cultivation for all cultivars with increases in yield of 19 to 28% according to the cultivar."

4th bit is another abstract from another paper: "Dwarf Cavendish, a commonly grown banana cultivar in Turkey. However, ‘Grand Nain’ is very popular cultivar under protected cultivation due to the higher yield and quality presently. The objective of this study was to compare to the banana cultivars, ‘Grand Nain’ and ‘Dwarf Cavendish’ under protected cultivation in the subtropical condition. Stem circumference, stem height, total leaf number, bunch stalk circumference, days from shooting to harvest, number of hands per bunch, number of fingers per bunch, finger circumference, finger length and bunch weight were measured in the protected cultivation. Cultivars ‘Grand Nain’ was found to be better than ‘Dwarf Cavendish’ in terms of total production, expressed as the number of hands and fingers per bunch and bunch weight under protected cultivation."

www.GreenFinGardens.com
GreenFin is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To GreenFin
Said thanks: