View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Chance1945

Zone: 9
Name: Terry
BananaBucks : 79,336
Said "Thanks" 140 Times
Was Thanked 220 Times in 129 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 58 Times
Default Re: Ornatas for pickup, Mobile Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by coast crab View Post
Well, I don't know where you ordered from, but you have to be careful. (personally, I wouldn't order anything I could find so easily locally) Just because sourwood a dogwood are southern trees doesn't mean you can get them from Tennessee and expect good results here on the coast. That's the beauty of this plant sale, trees grown from local/coastal seed sources by people who know what they're doing. If you expect decent, reliable fall color out of a sourwood you better buy local. And there will be a couple of named selections of dogwoods, 'Weaver' is one and I can't remember the other, both from north Florida so they're perfect here.

There are always plenty of native azaleas at the sale because 2 of the top hybridizers/growers are right here in Semmes - Maarten Van Der Giessen and Tommy Dodd. You won't find a better camellia collection offered anywhere.

Native hydrangea - quercifolia or arborescens? There will be plenty of H. q selections, and probably a few H. a's. They can be difficult down here, a little picky about soil and such.

If you're within 100 miles of Mobile and have any interest in plants you don't need to miss this sale. Best selection is Thursday night at the preview party (not free), then it's open Friday through Sunday. The list will be on the MBG website soon.

My azaleas I got from Tommy Dodd at the wholesale show last month. Sourwood I'm getting from several different sources as well as the family homestead up near Birmingham, where I'm also getting some redbuds, dogwoods, sassafras and hydrangea.

The hydrangea that had slipped my mind was the oakleaf hydrangea. I don't know how well it'll do here because I remember it growing in rock outcroppings at home. I'm willing to try anything. If it grows then that's good, if it doesn't........oh, well.

I wont be going to the show until Sat. I remember in Birmingham that opening night was dress-up night, ladies in gowns and jewels and the men in suits and that's just not my style.

I'll probably see you there since you said you'd be helping out.
Chance1945 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Chance1945
Said thanks: