View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
GreenFin

Zone: 6a
BananaBucks : 87,673
Said "Thanks" 1,396 Times
Was Thanked 939 Times in 334 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 44 Times
Default Re: Williams Hybrid vs Gran Nain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
They are very similar, but they are distinct cultivars. 'Williams' is a shorter tall Cavendish variety, and 'Gran Nain' is taller dwarf Cavendish. The fruit size and bunch size are very similar, and the fruit pretty much indistinguishable.

When they fruit, you can tell because 'Gran Nain' has persistent or semi-persistent male flowers and bracts, and 'Williams' has non-persistent male flowers and bracts.

'Gran Nain'

'Williams'
I'm unfamiliar with the term "persistent male flowers." I tried googling and did not find anything helpful.

It seems like it should mean something like, "the male flowers persistently keep hanging on rather than quickly dropping off." But that definition would contradict your examples, since the plant you've labeled 'Williams' is the one that still has male flowers and the Gran Nains are the ones without them. [I'm calling the underdeveloped/aborted fruit hanging below the bunch in your 3rd pic the male flowers. Is this correct?]

So does "persistent male flowers" mean the opposite of what I guessed? What exactly does "persistent male flowers" mean in this context?

I'm asking this to anyone who knows, so if any of you know what persistent male flowers are and can point out how those pictures illustrate them, please help me out

www.GreenFinGardens.com

Last edited by GreenFin : 02-14-2012 at 12:23 AM.
GreenFin is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To GreenFin
Said thanks: