View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
princessjasmine

Zone: 8b
BananaBucks : 5,816
Said "Thanks" 0 Times
Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 0 Times
Joy 25-30' and fruiting in Central Tx zone 8b

I must have at least 8-10 different varieties of bananas growing, but my favorite are these huge ones. Probably at least 25-30' tall now. I planted them in July 06 and they have bloomed 9/07, even though we had a hard freeze this past winter (it got down in the 20s, killed some of my palms). These bananas were cut back to the ground in December 06 and started coming back out in March 07 and have multiplied like crazy. The trunk diameter is probably about 12 inches now and were at least that big or bigger last winter when I had to cut them at the ground. Now we have fruit on them and I have no idea what kind they are. I bought them from a local nursery where the lady didn't speak much english, so she wasn't much help in identifying them.

Other details... I planted them in a slightly elevated bed, covered by several inches of mulch and mixed in some sand in the soil where they are planted. I have never fertilized them, but they may have got some fertilizer from the palm or hibiscus near by. We have had an unusual amount of rain this spring and summer.. we normally get 36 inches per year, but we have had more than that just in May and June, then it continued to flood in July and August thus giving us milder weather than usual.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg banana-sept9 054.jpg (447.4 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg bananasept9 050.jpg (420.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg banana-sept9 053.jpg (300.2 KB, 83 views)
princessjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To princessjasmine

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors