View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Olafhenny

Zone: Hardiness Zone 6
Name: Olaf
BananaBucks : 246,313
Said "Thanks" 2,050 Times
Was Thanked 2,012 Times in 876 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 77 Times

Hi Ante,

If I was in your place I would vote for accession to the EU. Greece was not screwed by the EU. It is the other
way around. All the countries, which are now in trouble have profited greatly by their membership. So
much so, that they thought there was no end to the prosperity afforded to them. They did not declare the true
state of their finances and were
trusted too much by the others. That got the whole Euro-zone into trouble, but it will not happen again,
because, when the dust has cleared, there will be close and effective oversight of each country’s budget.

It will take time, before the crisis is sorted out, but sorted out it will get. I believe that that will happen by
early to mid 2013. The UK has always been a hesitant member of the EU; - did not accept the Euro and did
not participate in the Schengen Agreement, to which even Switzerland, a non-member of the EU belongs.
I believe, that the chances of Britain leaving the EU are 60/40 and when that happens, the continent will
progress much faster toward unity and you will not want Croatia to be left out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51st state View Post
Hi Ante
The Southern European states will eventually be picked off by the speculators or cast adrift by the Germans who's indecisiveness and paranoia has sent the whole ship down.
First of all, Germany, the Netherlands, Finland and Austria as well as other “have” countries will not set
anyone adrift. They have enough money to support any country, which decides to pull themselves up
by the bootstraps and bring their house in order. But they do not have enough money to support them
while they go on their merry ways as usual. In Greece the public service is over-bloated due to a buddy
system, which has half of the public employees sitting idle, rolling their thumbs. In Spain, anybody
over 40 years of age cannot be terminated etc. That kind of nonsense has to stop and it would be absurd
to expect the taxpayers of the “haves” to support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51st state View Post
Hi Ante
The French will come to rue their pact with them when their backward economy is further exposed when Italy founders.

Kev

You may or may not be aware, that the Italian population is one of the wealthiest on the planet, even
though their country is deeply in debt and somewhat in disarray. Italians, including newborns have an
average net-worth of more than €60,000.- in stocks, debentures and insurance assets etc. not counting
real estate

With Silvio Berlusconi gone, Mario Monti, the new Prime Minister, appears to be determined to straighten
out the mess there and his track record indicates, that he is capable of doing just that.

Last edited by Jack Daw : 12-16-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Olafhenny is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Olafhenny
Said thanks: