View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Natureboy

Zone: 9B
Name: Nate
BananaBucks : 46,178
Said "Thanks" 124 Times
Was Thanked 138 Times in 59 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 7 Times
Default Re: Cutting the bud = Rot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitangadiego View Post
Ventura, it seems obvious that the removal of the bud eliminates a lot of energy waste. But you are right - have never seen any definitive info that says that it is helpful Thus my comment that on varieties or situations where it seems detrimental, to just leave it on.
I agree that removal of the bud is generally a positive towards hastening production. I'm sure there is a difference between certain varieties when it comes to this problem, as it always happens to Ice Cream and never to certain other varieties, regardless of humidity at the time (just speaking for C. Florida here).

Another precaution I started taking: when I do remove a bud, I simply snap it off by hand, which usually results in as clean a break as if it where cut with a knife/saw. This way, I can be sure I haven't harmed the stalk by using an infected tool.

Current varieties: Dwarf Namwah, FHIA-03 (Sweetheart), White Iholena, Maoli, Orinoco, Manzano (Apple), Praying Hands, Dwarf Brazilian, Pisang Raja, Rajapuri, Ice Cream (Blue Java), FHIA-01 (Goldfinger), Kandarian
Natureboy is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Natureboy
Said thanks: