View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gabe15

Zone: 12
Name: Gabe
BananaBucks : 13,340,543
Said "Thanks" 1 Times
Was Thanked 8,237 Times in 2,200 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 8 Times
Default Solomon Islands bananas

I spent 3 weeks in the Solomons earlier this summer doing some research and training. I saw some 100 or so different varieties and would love to share all the photos if it was so easy, but its not, so here are some examples of the more interesting ones. I should be finished with a fun travel-log type version of my report within the next month, so when that is finished I will share it here.

I was having trouble uploading them through bananas.org, so they are hosted on Photobucket. They seem to all be displayed at full size, so sorry if it's difficult to navigate, but not too sorry because I bet you'll still think they're neat. Enjoy!

Kwaibaita Valley, Malaita island. The bananas on the left in the first photo are wild Australimusa and seem to be a new species. There were at least 2 varieties in the area (below), and from the locals descriptions, at least one other species on the island.

'Broken Heart', a local favorite for dessert and cooking. It is a small plant (4-6ft) with relatively large fruit (8-12in) and normally begins fruiting about 6-7 months after planting. In the Solomons, to have a "broken heart" over something means you love it very much, and indeed this banana was loved as evidenced by its planting in massive numbers around many villages.

'Five Minute', named so because of its quick cooking time over a fire. The fruit is very long and slender, and the pulp is also rather airy and soft (not dense at all) and so altogether seem to give it the advantage when you need a quick snack out in the bush. It is also highly esteemed by young children and the elderly due to its soft texture.

Unknown on Makira island. Even my local banana expert guide who had gone all around Makira collecting bananas had never seen this one before. It is was in someones yard, we were in a bit of a rush to get back to the airport so couldn't stop long, my camera also fogged up and so it was hard to get good photos. It is obviously an edible cultivar, but seems to be a hybrid Musa section/Australimusa section which are known from other areas but quite rare.

'Toraka Gatagata', one of the at least 9 Fe'i bananas on Makira. Within the Solomons, Makira is often jokingly referred to as "banana island" because of the higher dependency of banana as a food source there. Makira has many varieties (probably over 100) and is one of the few hot spots of Fe'i banana left in the Pacific.

'Chuchu chichi', a Maoli/Popo'ulu subgroup member, closely related to the well known 'Hua Moa', which gets quite tall and normally has reddish-orange fruits. This particular bunch was covered in vines and thus hidden from the sun which seems to have left it with only hints of orange on the skin. "Chuchu" is the basic name for these types of banana on Guadalcanal island (where photo was taken), and "chichi" means red.

'Mota Pasa', appearing to be a Pisang Awak (or close to it) subgroup member with dark brown/black petioles and midribs. "Pasa" is a the term used when applying mud on your skin for various rituals, as this banana appears to have done to it's petioles.

'Ruhuvia Chichi', a nice little plant with brilliantly colored pink/red fruits.

Last edited by Gabe15 : 11-22-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Gabe15 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Gabe15
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors