View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
cherokee_greg
Love those bananas

Zone: zone 9
Name: Greg
BananaBucks : 289,597
Said "Thanks" 8,066 Times
Was Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,665 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 335 Times
Default Re: Musa 'Bordelon' Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by varig8 View Post
I have another 'Mystery' banana...................I thought I had lost this one a couple of years ago, then a few months ago I found this poor thing crammed behind some other plants, barely struggling along in a 3 gal. I put it in the ground about a month ago and now its flowering! It sure looks like a Bordelon from what I can gather from online research, EXCEPT it flowers at a height of about 3'. Ive had it flower in a 3 gal at 2' tall. The online info for Bordelon says 9'-14' tall. The leaves are red/maroon underneath, some 'blood spots' on top of green leaves, flower is deep purple,raceme & bananas are the same purple. Flower raceme seems sort of semi-erect, not pendant, more sideways, not totally erect like an Ornata. All the photos of the flowers Ive seen online arent nearly as dark purple as mine and the fruit in the photos are green.............anyone have any idea what this could be?
sounds interesting. None of my Bordelons ever flowered at 3' yet hope you find out what it is.

Greg zone 9 Fresno,CA
http://gardenjot.com/garden/view/1980/Gregs-Banana-Farm

Click for Fresno, California Forecast
cherokee_greg is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To cherokee_greg
Said thanks: