View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #115 (permalink)
bananarama2

Location: The drier, sunny East Coast of the West Coast, on Vancouver Island
Zone: 8a to 8b (?)
Name: Rik
BananaBucks : 12,213
Said "Thanks" 102 Times
Was Thanked 221 Times in 96 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 25 Times
Default Re: Time to separate the pups for the Spring

Hi Zak, my name is Rik, and this is my first time back on the site since before Christmas so I'm not sure if you've had other feed back on your questions regarding separating pups. I have an almost identical cluster of pups that I'm going to separate this week. I would suggest separating into two clumps first (as indicated by your excellent overhead shot). Initially, these pups are just clones of the parent plant, forming off a common root mass, very much like bulbs or corms. Once old enough, they develop and independent root system, at which time they can be carefully separated from one another. I would suggest anything after about a foot and a half of height and a month of independent growth would allow for safe separation. As much as possible, think along the lines of cutting a pizza, where the mother plant is at center, the pups radiating outward, to avoid cutting off the vital feeder roots that the pup has developed. You should be able to lift out the clumps, wash off any soil to reveal the exact structure of each pup, separate to ensure root integrity, then replant as desired. Hope this was some help and that you now have a whole new "family" of bananas. Best Regards, Rik