View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 06:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mauro Gibo
Okinawan Bananeiro

Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
BananaBucks : 74,426
Said "Thanks" 648 Times
Was Thanked 286 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Joy Re: Grafting Mature Banana Pups

Quote:
Originally Posted by varig8 View Post
(I dont know what Viacao Aerea Riograndense means?)

Anyway, The only sex cells or gametes will be in the ovaries, which become the banana fruit after the pollen from the stamens in the flowers is transferred to the pistils and fertilization occurs. It has nothing to do with grafting and grafting will never produce any type of mutation or hybrid mix between 2 plants. It just doesnt work that way. If you will do some simple research into this you will see that it just cant happen. "I expect them to in some way exchange gametes, that is, complete sexual cells and change their characteristics." How? These sexual cells or gametes arent just floating all around inside the banana plant magically mixing themselves up to produce a different plant. Thats like saying if you take a piece of a person and mix it up with a piece of another person, that you should expect that it should somehow produce a hybrid or a mutation. Im sorry, but this will never occur through grafting. The photos of the flowers above just look like older ones in the first photo and new ones in the second.
I am sorry, I thought you knew that Varig was the largest Air Line of Brazil in the past.All the times I went to Brazil I traveled by Varig. I just thought you had worked for the same company. Please forgive me, I meant no disrespect.
Alright, about my experiment: All the varieties of bananas I have grafted with the M. Basjoo did never survive the cold winter, that's a fact. They will grow together in the summer but unfortunately they die due to the frost in the winter. Before the weaker species dies, when it is still vigorous I apply a kind of cell transporter to the cold weak variety. I thank you all for discussing with sincerety your points of view about this subject. I may be following just a folktale but we all know that nature works in a mysterious way. The octopus eats its own leg when it is hungry and it grows back again. As the result will justify the means, I will wait until I get more concrete proof and produce an edible banana in my garden. Till then, stay well my friends.
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Said thanks: