View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #88 (permalink)
BB73

Zone: 9a
Name: Bernd
BananaBucks : 54,786
Said "Thanks" 228 Times
Was Thanked 419 Times in 159 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 56 Times
Default Re: carlosfv spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosfv View Post
Hi BB73
Really you have California gold?
when do you buy it? here in europe, what was the price?
for many years I have interest in this musa, i read that it the more hardy edible banana, at yet i tried with Helen,s, and raja puri but they are too youngs (both in the ground with little or nothing prtection), other at this moment are in pots (ice cream, bordelon, mysore-i think that will die this winter-, chini champa)
I wait for your news
Carlosfv
Hi Carlosfv,

I got it from the US and it came from Jeff Earl. I don't remember the price now, but he has auctions on eBay. Spring/early summer is the time he usually sells them. But he doesn't ship outside of the US. I received the plant with a "stopover" and it was resent to me and sneaked through customs. I have been lucky.
But Exoticgarten is claiming to have them for sale here in Europe. I posted the website just a few days ago here in this thread. Even though I own one myself, I asked them, where they got it from, because it must be the first time ever in Europe this variety is for sale in a shop. And it would be good to check if it's the "real thing". So far I got no answer, but it'll be interessting.

I'm growing the California Gold (40 cm stem - still small, but from a good sized corm) outside in the ground, side by side with a Rajapuri. The Cali Gold survived the 7 freezes I had (down to - 3 ° C) so far this winter much better than the Rajapuri. The cigar pushing out of the Cali Gold still shows some green inside the folded leaf. And this part is unprotected. The stem is covered in cloth. The stem of the Rajapuri is also covered, but all leaves have been gone in the second night below 0°. A few days ago I had to cut one third of the Rajapuri's stem, because it didn't look to good. It was about 1,10 m before. Of course there's mulch around the plants.
BB73 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To BB73