View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Yug

Zone: 10-11
Name: Knobby D. Holme
BananaBucks : 57,842
Said "Thanks" 4,009 Times
Was Thanked 1,742 Times in 812 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 463 Times
Default Re: Variegated Musa "Florida"

I don't know enough about Ae Ae just yet, so I don't know if it is different or not. What I DO know about orchids from Thailand is that the Thai's are notorious for taking registered plants to their own nurseries, mericloning them, and then selling them under another name. In other words - stealing and making $$ from someone else's work. Also, more than half of their orchids show infection with cymbidium mosaic virus which indicates their conditions are not very clean, and they are the plant kingdom equivalent of a 'puppy mill'.

Once, when I was still rather naive about orchids, I bought Dendrobium Sea Mary 'Snow Queen' which, according to the tag, was supposed to be a patented plant - no one could legally propagate the plant without authorization from the patent holder. After some investigation, I discovered that a VERY (virtually identical) similar plant was named Dendrobium Sea Marian, and one cultivar was named 'Sea King'. After even more digging, I discovered that RHS (Royal Horticultural Society - the guys that started looking into orchid taxonomy back in the 1800's) has it listed as Den. Sea Marian - so I would bet $$ that that is the correct name. So the ass-hats that stole it then patented the stolen / renamed plant so no one else would steal it. That is what I call CHUTZPAH!! Bottom line: don't trust any plant names for plants from Thailand - it is probably a scam to drive up the price, anyway.

Last edited by Yug : 01-14-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Yug is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Yug
Said thanks: