View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
varig8

Zone: 10-11
Name: varig8
BananaBucks : 42,414
Said "Thanks" 74 Times
Was Thanked 383 Times in 144 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 3 Times
Default Re: Variegated Musa "Florida"

Thanks Gabe, although I was afraid that this might be the only way to figure out if they are separate varieties without another member having had it flower and fruit. I hadnt noticed the shape of the bananas in this auction photo, but you are right. Not at all like the fruit of the Aeae. This furthers my suspicions that this is a different banana after all. I have so many varieties in a limited space as it is, I really didnt want to add yet another variegate, but looks like I might just have too! BTW Gabe, perhaps you will be able to shed a bit of light on another 'mystery' variegate I got hold of? It was sold to me labeled as Variegated Ornata Roxb. The seller has turned out to be a bit unreliable and has re-surfaced on Ebay under 4 different names since I bought it. I have since seen the same seller offer it under another name, on another site, as 'Variegated Roxb 'Aeae'.........Well OK, now I know thats not right..........The seller told me it was brought from Indonesia and they had only 3 plants. I paid a hefty price for it--the price went up each time one more was sold (I was the first buyer)--and the last price was over $1000. for the last one! It arrived as a fairly large dry corm from Singapore. There were also seed offered from the same variety at exorbitant prices, but these could have been seed from any ornata if the seller wasnt on the up and up-none ever sprouted for me or another member who bought some. As it started to grow it grew quickly to about 4' P-stem and then pretty much stopped as fall and winter set in. The P-stem is no larger than 4" in dia. from bottom to top, the leaves are longer and thinner than Aeae and it has just recently produced 2 suckers-very small compared to Aeae, (and Ive grown 30-40 Aeae over the years). Its habit and growth form seems to be similar to Sumatrana in shape and growing form. I have 2 recent photos which I will post here. Im hoping that it will flower and fruit this coming season. Then I will at least be able to tell if it is an Ornata or not, and if it is, most likely I will be able to tell which one from the coloration of the bananas and the fruit. Ill also post one of the photos from the original auction, which will be the first photo. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg variegated Roxb Ornata.jpg (11.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg musa RoxB 001.JPG (1.29 MB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg musa RoxB 002.JPG (1.38 MB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg musa RoxB 003.JPG (1.38 MB, 52 views)

Last edited by varig8 : 01-09-2011 at 11:58 PM.
varig8 is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To varig8
Said thanks: