Thread: Obsession
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
palmtree

Zone: 7b
Name: Alex C
BananaBucks : 103,698
Said "Thanks" 1,492 Times
Was Thanked 1,428 Times in 644 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 103 Times
Default Re: Obsession

Ive always loved tropical plants! When I went to florida when I was younger, the first thing I would look for is palm trees. One or 2 palm trees in my own backyard sufficed then, but one day I was bored and I tried to figure out if there were any palm trees that would survive my climate. Well when I found out that there were, I looked you lots and lots of info about them. It was about 4 years ago that I started to grow really tropical plants, but its been only the last 2 years that I have grown a really large amount of them and unusual types. Ive also had palm trees in the ground for 2 years. Before this summer I only had 3 banana plants since others have died along the way, but as of right now I have 11! I have....
2 Musa basjoo
2 Little prince (each have lots of pups!)
A dwarf cavendish
A super dwarf cavendish
An ice cream banana
A thai black banana
A musa velutina
A Musa saba
An Ensete Tandarra Red
So thats 8 new banana plants in about 3 or 4 months! And those definitely arent the only plants I have bought! Last year I had a lot of plants and this year I have twice as many, maybe more! Next year I plan on putting a lot of the bananas and many other tropicals in the ground for the summer.
Every year the collection gets bigger. It started with a quick search online, but the love for tropicals was always there!