View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
ron_mcb
PlantamAAn

Zone: 8
BananaBucks : 95,135
Said "Thanks" 396 Times
Was Thanked 496 Times in 242 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 25 Times
Default Re: blue java vs orinoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepah
My understanding is that the Blue Java is the color of the immature bananas as theyt ripen to a blue/green/yellow, as mine did.

My plants themselves have verythin red edges around the leaves and the pstems when young are powdery green.

BTW, my fruit last year DID have a vanilla taste.
i friend of mine grew the blue java... his seemed really bluish and distinctive(not 100% reliable) .. maybe i wasn't paying any attention to all the red edges or tinge in the pups but i was identifying the plant based on the bluish color(not100% reliable)... the plant looked like a giant Georgia blue stem collard in color if you could imagine.

now looking at the flowers of both plants when the bud first pops .. looking at all the other facts/opinions discussed here you can you see how people get the two confused??
ok hypothetically a guy can grow Orinoco and in the fall see the bud and say im a pro it looks like ice cream and the plant dies back for the winter soon after without the fruits showing (which should be the best thing that gives a positive identification)... the whole time he's thinking he's growing ice cream... the pups get distributed as ice cream to 10 people those 10 start growing it.. ok those 10 compare their "ice cream" to 10 people who are actually growing ice cream... confusion and chaos without p.t.c. labs involved..

ok still waiting on a way to give a positive id and distinguish between the two by using flower bud... they kinda look the same to me when thy first push out.. i need to see the fruits.

Last edited by LilRaverBoi : 07-25-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Quotation fixed
ron_mcb is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To ron_mcb