View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
ron_mcb
PlantamAAn

Zone: 8
BananaBucks : 94,935
Said "Thanks" 396 Times
Was Thanked 496 Times in 242 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe15 View Post
I'm not sure I really understand what your question is, but 'Ice Cream' is not a sport of 'Orinoco', they are very different plants. Vegetatively they can look similar, but when they flower they are easy to tell apart. Both have red/purple markings on the young fruit, but they are absent upon maturity. They also are not very waxy when young, but gain it as they mature.

As far "Cavendish vs. Gran Nain", that is not a logical comparison because 'Gran Nain' is a Cavendish cultivar, Cavendish being a subgroup of bananas which contains many different cultivars, 'Gran Nain' being just one.

1[/img][/url]

no, i dont need an identification... i will try to clarify.

lots of people dont know the difference between blue java and orinoco.. i was giving the Cavendish (dwarf Cavendish should have been more specific) and gran nain as an example. lots of people dont know the difference between these two either (i think i can tell those two apart at flowering stage). ok back to the to subject.. they are supposed to be a similar but separate separate plants like Orinoco and blue java right??

although i cant say i can look at most banana flowers right off the bat and give a positive identification.. i can tell the difference between blue java and Orinoco by looking the fruits.

i was asking for ice cream fruit pics from some of the members to illustrate my point,and also to help clear up some of the confusion...

can you tell us the easy way we can identify the two at flowering stage??
easy being the key word here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRaverBoi View Post
Yeah, I've never heard that Orinoco was in any way similar to Ice Cream. Orinoco is a cooking banana (unless very ripe) from what I've read and Ice Cream is a dessert banana. From what I've read/seen of Orinoco, it's a pure green plant (mature or immature) and the fruit is very angular when immature. Ice Cream, from my experience, has no red markings whatsoever on leaves (mature or immature), has a pinkish/waxy pstem when immature, has pink outlines on leaves and pinkish petioles (more pink when young). It has a lot more color to the plant than any pic of Orinoco I've seen. Hope that helps a little.

look at my regular Orinoco pics in my gallery.. it has plenty red.. almost more red than anything i've seen when its a juvenile, but i think its regular Orinoco. the fruits are angular and green

when i said i wouldn't doubt that there is a guy with "ice cream" pups with red Cavendish marking on the leaves and was giving out pups calling it blue java ...i was making fun of all the confusion that happens from the p.t.c. labs to the point where we the hobby growers plant these things in our yards (humor)..

Last edited by ron_mcb : 07-24-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Consecutive Posts Merged
ron_mcb is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To ron_mcb