View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Randy4ut

BananaBucks : 78,282
Said "Thanks" 1,051 Times
Was Thanked 1,324 Times in 444 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 87 Times
Cold Old refrigerator converted to seed germination chamber

Well, I am still testing the thermostat, timer, and temps, but hopefully by this weekend I will start filling it up. I took my old fridge we used out in the garage for extra food and drinks and am trying to convert it into a seed germinating chamber. Main purpose is for germinating Musa seeds since they seem to require more attention to detail. With most of them, they like fluctuating temperatures. Will have to just wait and see. I still hope to be able to germinate palms seeds in here as well.
Anyway, I am using an older model of a heater that is flat and mainly used for under a desk heat. It is attached to a thermostat that I can adjust from 30F to 110F. This is then attached to a heavy duty timer that allows me to turn it off and on up to about 3-4 times within a 24 hour period. I also have a remote thermometer to be able to monitor the temps inside.
I plugged it in this morning about 6:15 and by 9:30 the temp was up to 103F!! The garage is unheated and about 40F right now. That was with the thermostat not hooked up. I have now cooled it down, attached the thermostat and set it at 85F.
Just wanted to share this with everyone and invite comments, advice, etc. from everyone as I want to make sure I cover all my bases. Any help with palm/banana seed germination tips would be greatly appreciated.

Randy4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Randy4ut
Said thanks:

Join Bananas.org Today!

Are you a banana plant enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Bananas.org is owned and operated by fellow banana plant enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information. Receive all three issues from Volume 1 of Bananas Magazine with your membership:

Join Bananas.org Today! - Click Here

Sponsors