View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #119 (permalink)
Mauro Gibo
Okinawan Bananeiro

Zone: cold
Name: Mauro
BananaBucks : 74,587
Said "Thanks" 648 Times
Was Thanked 286 Times in 87 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 9 Times
Joy Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daw View Post
Heh, thanks Mauro, but I too have several varieties including Musa 'Raja Puri' and Lady Finger is unlikely to survive here. I'm interested in your grafting techniques, seeing that the plant lives, it just gives me hope that it might survive. Will you write a complete guide on how to graft bananas, once you succeed? That would definitely be worth a shot here.
How long did it take before the graft was accepted by basjoo P-stem remnants?
Of course, I will post all the procedures of how to do it. But first, I have to make a video of me harvesting my ripe bananas and eating them with great delight. I am quite positive this year, because the coldest days are already gone. After February 15, the Japanese apricot tree starts blooming. That means that the weather will get warmer everyday. First I choose the 2 pups of about the same size and split the corms with a disinfected knife, tie them together and control the growth of the rootstock without killing it. I am not a botanist so I have no scientific knowlege of the behavior of the plant. But I believe that the cells of the bananas can recognize a friend from a foe. I let them exchange cells for 2 or three months then I stop the growth of the rootstock completely by cutting it down every time it grows and let the scion grow freely. Later on I will give you more specified information. I rely a lot on intuition. If you try, please have in mind that the environment is also very important for the growth and fusion of the banana pups.
Bye for now.
Hope to hear from you again.
Please wish me luck, I need it very much.
Mauro Gibo is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Mauro Gibo
Said thanks: