View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #118 (permalink)
Jack Daw
I think with my banana ;)

Zone: Dfa (Köppen-geiger) <-> 7b/8a? (USDA)
Name: Jack
BananaBucks : 208,674
Said "Thanks" 2,771 Times
Was Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,355 Posts
Said "Welcome to Bananas" 383 Times
Default Re: Grafting Bananas by the Insistent Banana Grower - Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro Gibo View Post
Hi Jack Daw, you live in a cold country too. I'm a loco man, that means crazy in Spanish. When I started growing bananas in my room it became a banana jungle and my wife almost asked me for a divorce. I have 2 edible varieties which didn't die in the past 5 years. The Lady Finger from Okinawa, Ryukyu Island, which I believe is a sister of the musa liukiuensis, Ito Bashoh, and the Raja Puri from India. The banana pups my brother brought me from Brazil all died during the first winter. Send me your address and I will send you the banana pups next spring. Make sure you plant them in a place where they get enough sunshine all winter. The banana plants like a lot of water in the summer but during the winter they hate moisture. Don't give them any water if possible. Another thing, maybe you should not graft them like me or people may send you to the same mental institution where my wife wants to send me.
Best Regards,
Mauro Gibo
Heh, thanks Mauro, but I too have several varieties including Musa 'Raja Puri' and Lady Finger is unlikely to survive here. I'm interested in your grafting techniques, seeing that the plant lives, it just gives me hope that it might survive. Will you write a complete guide on how to graft bananas, once you succeed? That would definitely be worth a shot here.
How long did it take before the graft was accepted by basjoo P-stem remnants?

Zeitgeist - Corporatocracy 101 (~2hrs)

Zeitgeist - Moving Forward (~2.5hrs)
Jack Daw is offline   Reply With Quote Send A Private Message To Jack Daw